-+*Chapter Twelve*+-

Daichi's POV

-senior year-

I walk down the hallways, alone. The way it's always been since last year.

"Hey! Daichi right?" I look up and see a girl, "u-uh yeah..." she had short brown hair that faded into a blonde. She looked American, a transfer?

"Hey! I'm in your math class! Anyway, I was wondering if you'll join the volleyball team?"

"I-"

"I heard from classmates that you used to play for a school in the Miyagi prefecture!" How? I don't even know you...

"I haven't played since then! After freshman year, I stopped playing." Her face scrunches up in confusion, "that doesn't make sense, but I'll go with it." She continues to walk next to me. This was odd.

"I don't usually see you hanging around people."

"Yeah..I don't really have friends here." She stops walking and tilts her head, "how? Everybody needs a friend! Hey! How about I can be your friend?" A smile comes onto my face, my first real one in a while.

"T-That isn't necessary..."

"Of course it is!"
**
After that, we became best friends...and that friendship turned into a relationship. And that relationship turned into an engagement...which turned into a child.

I didn't know why...but after Mabel was born, Risa started to change. We started arguing, which eventually had us split. Once I got full custody of all together, I was happy. But Mabel was already old enough to know who her mom was and for weeks she'd ask where she was. Juggling a child and full-time job was getting too much...so I tried to start dating again.

As you can tell, that didn't work out. None of them made me feel any way. It felt as if I was emotionless, and I was fine with that.

There was one time I was in Miyagi in my second year of high school. I walked out of the cafe Suga and I always went to, since it was the only good cafe I knew, and I seen him. I seen him talking to Munnsun and a few others I didn't know. I stood there, still for a long moment before I realized their entire group was looking at me, Munnsun covering his eyes. He laughed...and right before he uncovered his eyes, I ran the other direction, knowing damn well Munnsun didn't want me to even look at him.

He looked happy...he looked well. He wasn't too thin. He didn't look tired. He looked like he was having...fun. He moved on. So...why can't I?

I started feeling angry....and jealous. I was envying the fact that he was okay. I was jealous that...he was able to get better, while I was here still alone...without him by my side. His smile...wasn't mine anymore...and never will be ever again.

* * *

I feel a small tear fall down my face as I smile.

He treats my child with nothing more than what she needs. Like she's his very own. He treats me as if nothing happened at all...when we both know I did something that can only be indescribable pain for him...and yet he still forgave me. He forgave everyone. For every single bad thing they've done, he forgives them.

"I say I'm sorry a lot because I don't want to die one day and be on bad terms with anyone....that isn't a way I would want to die."

He even said so...

Looking at him now seems to be a dream that I refuse to wake up from. Because...being able to see his smile every day, being able to feel his touch...being able to just exist with him...is a miracle. A springtime miracle.