Chapter 18

"Lumos." George's wand tip lit up, casting the area around them in light and shadows.
His face came into perfect view, but Bonnie couldn't bring herself to meet his eyes. Her eyes were cast down at the floor.

"I can't believe Fred never told me. He knew didn't he?"
She wasn't sure if he was angry or amused.

"I wondered why he constantly tried to bring you up in conversation, brought me to hang out with you, was so upset with me after I kissed Katie. I ruined his plans I guess?"

Finally, Bonnie looked at him.
"I get it George, I do. I didn't mean for Fred to keep it from you. I spilled my guts to him and he sort of just... took it upon himself to try and get us together. I didn't tell him to. I tried to tell him you don't like me - which is fine by the way." She added quickly.
This time he was silent.

"This is awkward huh?" A laugh escaped her mouth.
George started to smile.
"It is Peers, it's very awkward. I never saw this coming."

Despite themselves, they erupted into laughter. The ridiculousness of the situation was dawning on them and for some reason, it was absolutely hilarious in that moment. What else were they meant to do? Laughing was better than talking about it. But of course, the laughing came to an end.

"All I can say is sorry George." Bonnie said as she tried to catch her breath. "I didn't mean for any of this."

George shook his head. "Please stop apologising Bon, so a couple of stars think our souls are mates. That could mean anything! ...I think."
He came toward her and put his hand on his shoulder.
"First and foremost, we are friends. Trelawney's dumb tasks aren't going to spoil that, you hear me?"

Bonnie felt the heat from his hand on her shoulder, it made her blush. But George had just friend zoned her - hard. She had to learn to not feel the obvious sparks that she feels in her chest when he is anywhere near her.

She nodded at him.
"I promise I'll stop nearly killing myself in my attempts to get away from you." She giggled, looking up at him.
His eyes were on hers before they shot down to look at her lips quickly. Silence enveloped them before George cleared his throat and stepped away, picking up the parchment with her star chart on it that he had set aside earlier and handed it back to her.
"We should probably head back to the common room before we get caught. I know you're not as used to to detention as me!"

"George wait, um... you know, if you have 5 extra minutes, I could show you the constellation Ara we were learning about in class. It's visible this time of year." Bonnie shrugged.

He looked at her for a moment, then grinned.
"Sounds brilliant. Maybe we can ask the stars what they are playing at while we are here." He winked.

Bonnie used her wand to conjure a soft blanket. They both sat down on it, side by side and gazed up at the sky.
"Ok so, before we get the telescope, I want you to see if you can find it. It looks a little like a dented rectangle." She said gesturing up at the sky.

"There are no lines in the sky Bonnie. How am I meant to see a rectangle?"

"Dented rectangle." She corrected with a smirk.
"Here's a hint, it's part of the Milky Way."

George searched the sky with squinted eyes. "Um... hmm... There! There I see it!" He announced pointing toward the stars.
Bonnie looked at him, then looked where he was pointing.
She shook her head. "You can't just point at the sky and say you see it when you don't, ya goose."
Gently taking his arm, she manoeuvred his hand to point in the real direction of Ara.

"Oh. Well.. I was close." He said, blushing slightly in the starlight. Her hand was still on his arm, he looked at it. So did she.
Bonnie snatched her hand away feeling foolish.
"Go look in the telescope. Remember, it's part of the Milky Way." She said as she stood, brushing the imaginary dust off her jeans so she wouldn't have to look at him.
George also stood, looking slightly bashful and walked over the the gigantic blue and silver telescope in the centre of the tower.
He closed one eye and peered into the eye piece with his open one. He was silent for a long while, turning the telescope this way and that, in search of the constellation.

"It's no use Bonnie, I can't find it. I shouldn't have taken this class! Now, if this was a fake telescope and looking into it made you see something really funny or it gave you a black eye, maybe that would be more up my alley?"

Bonnie shooed him to make room for her, she looked into the telescope to point it where it needed to be. She found it quickly and stepped aside moving her hand to signal for him to look again.
"Do you see it now?"

George looked and grinned.
"I do! I actually do this time. A dented rectangle, I see what you mean." He pulled away. "Thanks Bon. I can say with some certainty that I would have never found that without you."

They smiled at each other before Bonnie decided it was time to go.
"It's getting late and we want to be fresh for Divination tomorrow don't we?!"

George agreed and pulled out his trusty Marauders Map to ensure no teachers were in their path back to the common room.
Confirming the coast was clear, they set off quickly.
They didn't talk at all on the way back, but it was a comfortable silence.