Chapter 8 Early Morning Sunrise

It is the day after Adrien's birthday party. Everyone is still asleep except for Adrien, who woke up early,  and Marinette.  Adrien quietly slips his jacket on and steps outside. He stands there to admire the view. He does not notice when someone joins him.

       Marinette hears Adrien sigh. She remains quiet so as not to disturb him.  She feels as if everyone likes her company except Adrien's father.

      She stands beside Adrien, unsure what else to do for the moment.  At least the sunrise is lovely in the wee hours of the morning.  It is rather nice to see it.  She feels herself make a fist. She can not take any chances in a strange environment like this one.

     Adrien turns around when he feels someone near. He smiles when he sees her.  He is glad she does not sense his sadness. He must not let her know it is because he struggles with how to say goodbye to her.  

     "Marinette, I do not wish to intrude. I will just go back to my room and..."

      "Adrien, do not be silly. You are not intruding. Besides, this is your home."

      Adrien nods his head in agreement. He feels his breath catch in his throat as she reaches up and places her lips on his forehead. He closes his eyes, afraid the special interaction will be just a dream if he opens them.  

     Marinette sees his eyes shut. She places a hand on his left cheek.  She hears him mutter something she does not quite understand.

     "What did you say, Adrien?"

     "Would you like some coffee?"

      "Sure, I would love some."

     Adrien opens his eyes. He goes back inside. He fixes the coffee.  

         "Here, I hope you like it black. We are all out of creamer and sugar."

        "Oh, I am sure it is fine."

         Marinette sips the coffee as Adrien gently places an arm around her.  She relaxes. 

           "Mari, are you happy with us?"

          "Oh, goodness, You are dumping me."  She screams and runs off.

              Adrien chases after her. He catches up to her.

           "I am not breaking up with you."

               "What?  but I thought..."

         "Well, you thought wrong, my dear."

          Adrien stands so close their lips almost touch. He is about to kiss her when his mother walks over to them.

          "Oh, there you two are, good now come inside before the breakfast gets cold."

         Neither of them says a word, but they wish they could have shared a kiss.

            Adrien and Marinette join the others for the meal. They sit next to each other at the table.  Once the breakfast is over, Marinette packs her things.

          Adrien sits on the porch with his head in his hands. 

           Why must she leave already?

           Find out more in Chapter 9

       bye, bye little owlets!

       -Summer out!     

Chapter 8  was originally published on December 13, 2020, and Edits were made on December 19, 2020.