Chapter 10: The Wedding

Ariadne

Tears welled up in my eyes when I saw my sister in her wedding gown. She was an image of perfection, radiant as the sun. With her golden hair tied up in a simple chignon, some loose strands framing her face and pink flowers weaved through, cobalt blue eyes shining bright, and lips the same pink as her flowers, Bella looked mesmerizing, a duchess of the highest degree.

"Oh Bella," I sighed, trying to catch my breath. "You are a vision. The most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life."

"Stop crying, you're going to make me cry," she said, clutching my hands and pulling me into her arms. I hugged her carefully, not wanting to ruin a single part of her stunning dress.

"Are you happy?" I asked, my voice softer than intended.

"Of course I am," she replied. "I'm marrying the love of my life."

Happiness surged through my chest. The only man I'd ever think was good enough for my sister was Francis Duval, and he deserved the entire goddamn world. Seeing as my sister was the world, it seemed fitting they'd be together.

I stroked her cheek slowly. "Promise me you'll still pick up my calls even though you're a married old lady now."

Bella scoffed. "I'm an old nothing and don't say stupid things, Ariadne."

My sister and I shared a teary laugh. When my father walked into the room, everyone stepped away from the bride–aka his favorite child–making a straight path for him.

"Bella," he said, walking over and placing a gentle kiss on her forehead. "You are too beautiful to even touch. My precious."

"Never felt like more of a middle child," I mumbled and everyone laughed, blissfully unaware that my statement had genuine resentment hidden in it.

I hadn't talked to my father since my outburst at dinner despite his numerous attempts to speak to me since then. There was nothing he could say that would change my mind. No one else had addressed the meltdown either, except for a kind phone call from Anthony to make sure I was alright.

Something had happened after I walked out of the apartment, because Dad laid off and didn't belittle me much anymore. We were all just pretending nothing happened.

"I love all my children equally," he said—or more accurately, lied.

"Sure," Christian interjected, stepping into the room and voicing my thoughts out loud.

His entrance made everyone immediately fall quiet. My brother commanded every room he walked into.

"You love the girls a lot more than me. Their nicknames are my angel and my precious. That's kind of hard to beat."

He looked at Dad angrily, but his eyes softened when they fell on Bella, and he tilted his head, mouthing gorgeous in her direction. I just watched them, because my siblings were my favorite people in the world and I knew just how hard this was going to be for Christian. He'd lived his life protecting the two of us from everything bad in the world. He always thought everything left him. And now, Bella was leaving home too.

"Tell me now, do you want to run?"

"Huh?" Bella and I asked simultaneously.

"If you need a get-away car, I will drive you out of here now. Just say the word, everything else be damned. He's one of my best friends but you're my priority."

The room reverberated with laughter yet again as she kissed Christian on the cheek. "I'm sure, big brother."

He smiled a little sadly, as if he just realized his sister was leaving home and pressed a long kiss to her forehead. "Alright then, little sister, let's go get you married."