Chapter 42: A Gift

Damon

I stood up so fast that my chair fell back behind me.

The sound of a gunshot resonated through the hall and moments after, screams filled the air. I tuned them all out, focusing on the movement I needed to see with one hand securely wrapped around Ariadne's wrist. The thundering pulse under her skin made me want to fucking die.

Men in suits flooded the room, surrounding the table and closing in on each of us. The screams in the room subsided to silent whimpering and praying.

A figure walked into the room with an annoying devilish grin painting his face. He was as tall as I was and just as visually threatening to look at. A scar ran through his left eyebrow, courtesy of me years ago.

Matteo Giovanni.

"Damon Hale!" His voice boomed through the hall as he twirled a gun on his finger.

Releasing Ariadne from my grip, I pulled out my gun from my holster and let my arm hang by my side, heroically resisting the urge to shoot his smug face now.

"Aw come on now, I know you're happy to see me," he continued when I didn't say anything.

A quick scan of the room told me there were at least 30 armed men surrounding the room. My own security team was absent, probably dead or knocked out outside.

Fuck.

My mind was contemplating and calculating all the possibilities just as I'd been taught. How the fuck did he manage to get into an estate that was wired more than a bad cop show?

"You're growing into that scar well, Matteo. It suits you," I taunted calmly.

"I'm glad you think so."

His eyes moved to my sister almost immediately, something sinister flashing in them. A slow grin spread across his face.

"Robyn Hale," he purred.

"Matteo Giovanni," she returned in a slight accent without a trace of fear in her voice. Christian tensed beside her, shielding her body with his own on instinct.

"I love when you say my name," Matteo grinned.

"Don't look at her," Christian said calmly but it didn't match the sheer intensity of his voice.

Years ago, there'd been rumors Matteo was infatuated with Robyn, and I used to be pretty sure it was just to get under my skin. Now though, I wanted to skin him alive just for looking at her.

I brought his attention back to me by asking, "To what do we owe this pleasure?"

"Heard tonight's a big night for you, Hale," he continued. "I brought you a gift."

"That's very kind of you, but I'm afraid I'm not interested."

"Oh, Damon," he chuckled. "I think you will be."

The room fell dark, all the ostentatious lighting suddenly gone. I drew my gun ahead of me, pointing it directly at where Matteo was standing.

How the fuck did he have this control? There was no way he was working alone.

When the lights flicked back on exactly ten seconds later, my hand was still raised but it faltered.

Matteo's men had dragged my sister and mother to the front of the room, right next to him.

"Your fight is not with them, Matteo. It is with me," my father bit out in a voice that demanded fear. Anthony Hale was a terrifying man and even Matteo blinked twice at his tone.