Chapter 46: Pizza?

Ariadne

I didn't know how long I'd been out cold but by the time I was awake, Dean and Matteo were gone. Blood trickled down my face and I felt my head pounding where Matteo had hit me.

Instinctively trying to move my hands to my head, I remembered I was tied to the metal chair. My arms ached and I shivered as the chill from the room swept my skin. Could have at least left me with a fucking blanket.

How many hours had it been? Where was he? Was Damon coming for me? Or would he leave me here?

I felt myself passing out again and tapped my feet against the floor, trying to keep myself awake. My white dress was stained with red blood and dirt.

If I went out like this, at least I was in a nice dress.

Despite trying to joke, my heart plummeted. I was going to die. I was going to die here. In a cold, dark room. Killed by the mob.

How did I end up here? Was this my fault? Was Robyn okay? Did she know her boyfriend was the reason why I was in this mess?

Knowing her, she was probably blaming herself, even though she could never hurt a single fly. Her favorite flowers were sunflowers, for the love of God. She didn't have a single cruel or malicious bone in her body.

The Hale siblings were, at the heart of it, good people.

Damon was undoubtedly a mess too. What I would give to hold him in my arms again. To watch him play poker. To dance with him. To cook with him. To do dishes with him. To feel his hands on my waist. To see his dimples as he smiled wide. To see him standing in the rain with red roses. To drink coffee with him. To sit across from him at Mario's and eat greasy pizza. To stare out at the New York skyline with him. To exist with him.

I would do anything for just another minute. Another second. Another breath.

The next time I opened my eyes it was to the sound of a gunshot. That was twice in one day and more than I had heard in my entire lifetime. I jerked my head up in hopes of seeing a friendly face.

That would be wishful thinking.

"Rise and shine!" Matteo's grin was wide and challenging. I groaned.

"Didn't sleep well?" Dean taunted.

"Don't think I would call it sleep," I grumbled.

"Anyway, the clock is ticking and your boyfriend is nowhere to be seen. In fact, he's not making any moves out. He's raiding all of my joints," Matteo said, annoyance flaring in his eyes.

I smiled. That's my boy.

"Wonderful," I said simply.

At the same time, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Who was I to think he would give up his entire kingdom for me?

My heart constricted.

My blood burned.

My skin buzzed.

I'd never felt real love before but now that I did, I didn't want to let it go. I didn't want to let the most dangerous man in New York go.

My lungs ached to breathe in his scent, to be around his calming presence.

He was the one man in my life who never tried to change who I was. Never told me I needed to be more malleable. Never told me I needed to stop being sassy. Never told me I should join the family business.

He let me be me.

He made me like myself more.

How was I supposed to be so okay with giving up a person who made me love not just him but also, myself?