Chapter 45: Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned

Damon

We were sifting through every single one of Robyn's devices and extracting data from what was downloaded.

It had probably been hours.

Brent was right.

Floor plans. Bank accounts. Private files and deals. Probably some blackmail videos. Essentially, nothing that could see the light of day.

Fuck.

Dean was a friend. I trusted him. I trusted my sister with him—my favorite person in the entire fucking world. Suddenly, Matteo's name was being edged off the top of my kill list.

But why?

My phone rang and I grabbed it immediately.

"Hale."

"It's me," Francis' voice came through the phone.

Alarm gripped me by the throat. "What's wrong? Is Bella okay?"

"She's fine," he said quickly, reassurance in his smooth tone. "I realized something earlier today, but I need you to confirm it."

"What is it?"

"I have access to files from the DA's office. I pulled Bianca Giovanni's."

"And?"

"Damon, she had two sons," Francis said. "Look at what I just sent you."

By the time I raised my head, two photos were pulled up side-by-side on the screen already.

Dean Jacobs.

Matteo Giovanni.

I could have shot myself in the foot. The same arctic blue eyes were framed on both of their faces.

"They're brothers, Damon," Francis elucidated. "They kept it a secret because they knew that if Anthony found out about Dean Giovanni, he'd keep an eye on him. It was easier for Matteo to be the loud-mouthed, psychopathic one who took all your attention while Dean snuck under the radar and used Robyn."

I should have seen it. Dean always wanted power, the same way Matteo did. It was why he became a lawyer, especially in criminal defense. He loved the feeling like people could get away with anything. And he loved the high and mighty spilling their secrets to him in hopes of getting off free of charges. They were forever indebted to him and everyone lived happily ever after. It was a goddamn Hallmark movie.

In his own fucked up way, he relished that control. That feeling of dependence. It had made me cautious around him, not telling him everything and only letting him in on surface level deals.

He was every bit mob boss as I was. I just couldn't believe I didn't see it. Because when I looked at him, all I saw was a man trying to date my sister. Not a man trying to hurt my whole family. He knew exactly what would distract me. He knew my family was my weakness.

And the bastard used it all against me.

Please hang on, princess. I'm coming for you. I swear I am.

"Oh God," Robyn choked, a hand over her mouth.

"Little Hale?" Francis asked, as his voice softened immediately. "Est-ce que ça va?"

"I'm okay," she whispered quietly, though the pain in her face made my stomach churn with displeasure. "I'm sorry I didn't listen to you. You knew he was no good."

"All I knew he wasn't good enough for you, Robyn," Francis said quietly.

My dad walked over to Brent, motioning for him to pull some other things up on the screen. Some noises ruffled over the phone, and then, a voice that broke my heart came through.