Chapter 34: Broken Promises

Ariadne

Christian Ryder hated many things. Being the seventh wheel might have been at the top.

Tonight, though, we were huddled around Damon's fire pit in his backyard, making s'mores, mixing cocktails, and reminiscing about Cabo. Dean couldn't make it–last minute bailing was becoming common with the busy lawyer–so it was just the six of us celebrating the news that Bella was pregnant!

My baby sister was having a baby and I couldn't wait to spoil the crap out of this brilliant, beautiful kid. Maybe I could get him or her to become a doctor too. I burst into happy tears promptly, falling to the floor out of sheer happiness and kissing her still flat stomach.

"The first Ryder grandchild, oh my goodness," I squealed, making everyone laugh.

"Duval grandchild," Francis corrected. This kid was going to have a trust fund that would make the American military budget like pocket change and an intelligence that would rival no other. Any children of Francis Laurent Duval and Isabella Marie Ryder were going to rule the world.

"Semantics." I waved my hand.

"I can't wait to have a baby around to play with," Robyn smiled, throwing her arms around Francis' shoulders from the back and resting her chin on his shoulder. He ruffled her hair, smiling.

Francis looked like nothing would ever make him unhappy. Like he was invincible. Good. After everything he went through, he deserved that. There wasn't a single doubt in my mind that he would be the best father in the world.

"We're going to go shopping, eat strawberry ice cream, and go to the movies," I said, clasping my sister's face. She was crying. Bella was always crying, the adorably emotional little thing.

"Painting in the park, making cinnamon rolls, and feeding ducks," Robyn added excitedly. "Sono così emozionato."

"The two of you are ridiculous," Damon said, kissing Bella's cheek and smiling warmly at her. "Congratulations, Bella. I wish all the health and happiness for you and your little one. As long as I live, nothing will ever happen to your kid, my little diva."

My heart squeezed at their friendship and tears formed in Bella's eyes.

"Thank you, Damon. I believe that, don't worry."

Damon stared at her and shook his head before pulling her into a hug. "It seems like just yesterday you were still in high school and worried about prom, you know?"

"Don't get emotional on me, now," Bella said in a soft voice.

"Can't help it. I feel like a proud big brother."

"You are my big brother," Bella choked with barely constrained tears.

Damon cleared his throat and smacked the back of Christian's head. "I'm going to be the favorite uncle, just so you know."

"Not likely," Christian murmured.

"And just so you know, you and Ariadne will be doing a lot of babysitting," Bella smiled, sending my stomach into a tumultuous flip yet again. That implied Damon and I would be together even months from now.

"I have officially failed as a brother," Christian grumbled in the corner as he shook Francis' hand.

"Why?" Bella asked, eyes wide. Our big brother did everything he could to protect us from the world. Our entire life, he put us before himself. He'd outdone his role, not failed it.

"Because the two idiots who I told not to touch my sisters the most, have knocked one up and is dating the other." Christian speared Francis with a deadly glare but the mirth in his eyes and rare smile couldn't be contained.