Chapter 29: So Fucking Perfect

Damon

We drove home in silence, letting the weight of her words settle in properly.

She was right.

We were no good for one another.

We couldn't be together.

But I wanted her, and even want was the understatement of the fucking century.

She didn't stop me from settling a hand on her thigh the entire ride back as she traced random shapes onto the back of my palm. She drew some stars, traced a tiara and other random figures I was too wired up to properly decipher.

Without asking her permission, as I did so often, I drove us home, headed up to my room, locked the door behind us. I didn't care what we were doing. I just knew I needed to be around her.

She stood quietly by the tall glass windows of my room in deep contemplation. Ariadne and I weren't all that different. We both liked silence, appreciated being unknown, and needed time to think.

I left her to her thoughts as I checked my phone.

Rich & Hungry

Christian: Everyone home?

Francis: Yes. Bella's with me.

Dean: Yes sir. Robyn too.

In my mind, I could practically see Christian rubbing a hand over his jaw at Dean's message. Idiot. I typed a quick response, knowing full well my best friend wouldn't sleep until he knew everyone was okay.

Damon: All good.

Immediately, a private text from Christian popped up.

Christian: Assuming my sister is with you?

Damon: She is.

Christian: Hurt her again and you die a slow painful death, Damon.

As much as I would normally make fun of his taunts, it seemed inappropriate now. Not to mention when it came to Ariadne, Christian would follow through on those threats without a second thought. Christian was supportive of Ariadne and me. And I had to respect that.

Damon: I won't. I promise.

Promises were important to him. He made them all the time with my sister for years. Hopefully, he knew I meant it too.

I unbuttoned the top of my dress shirt, inspected the gauze on my hand, and peeled away the bandages from my jaw, checking for fresh blood. Mostly a superficial wound—it would heal quickly. Looking back up at Ariadne, she stood with her legs crossed and her hands behind her back, still looking at the starry sky.

"Maybe we could work," she said suddenly but it sounded more like internal dialogue than a conversation starter, so I let her dwell.

She chuckled. "Ever since you started paying attention to me, it's been feelings and complications and all this stuff I don't understand."

She turned on her heels and faced me, a pensive look on her perfect face.

God, she really didn't know that I always paid attention to her. That she was the only one I ever fucking looked at.

"Talk to me, Damon."

I sighed. "I know how I feel about you, princess. For quite some time now. But for you, I'll wait. However long it takes."

She shook her head. "You're too good to me. You took care of me when I fell asleep, punched a guy for touching me, and even shipped a man across the country for me," she said softly.