Chapter 33: The Least Valuable Ryder

Ariadne

I couldn't breathe.

My necklace was too tight. My hair felt too heavy with all the hairspray in it. My cheeks burned from the fake smile I'd plastered on it for hours already. It felt like a prison.

I was always anxious around people and crowds made me even more uncomfortable. All I wanted to do right now was be in bed with my boyfriend with an extra-large pizza and a bowl of strawberry sundae. Why couldn't I be doing that?

Ryder Inc. was having yet another corporate event that I needed to attend. Though both Bella and Christian assured me not to attend if I didn't feel comfortable because they loved me, I wanted to push myself to try to come anyway. My father was making somewhat of an effort to repair our relationship–ever since he'd told me that if being with Damon made me happy, he'd support that because he wanted me to be happy.

Having my father's approval meant more to me than most people thought it did. Most people thought I just didn't care what he thought, but unfortunately, it couldn't be further from the truth–I did care. My whole life, despite all the horrible things he'd done, I wanted him to be proud of me, to love me, and to just accept me for me. To not try to change me in any way.

Someone moved in front of me and grinned widely, introducing themself. I plastered the same, tired smile on my face and shook the man's hand, half-listening to what they were saying because my siblings were just too magnetic for my attention not to be drawn to them.

Bella was sauntering through the room as if her six-inch stilettos didn't even bother her, smiling and greeting every single person in the room, making them feel like they were worth every bit of her attention. My sister was so good at making people feel loved, seen, and wanted. I admired that talent of hers more than I had words to describe.

Christian, on the other hand, didn't go to people. People came to him. They practically stood in a line just to get a glimpse of the irresistible heir of New York's empire, only for him to give them a firm handshake, a single nod, and four cordial words Bella told him to remember right before the event.

The smile fell of my face quickly when the man left me. Bella idled by me and squeezed my arm. "You okay?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

"You wanna go get some air? It's hot in here," she smiled, fanning herself. I loved her so much because I knew she was just offering me an escape.

"No but I might go get more food," I grinned at her.

Those bluebell eyes went wild. "I got the strawberry shortcake for you! Did you like it?"

"Divine," I confirmed. "Definitely gained ten pounds from that alone."

Bella scoffed. "Not a chance. If I had an ass like yours, I would literally never wear pants."

"Bella."

"What?" She batted her eyelashes sagely. "It's true."

Someone in a corner was trying to get her attention so she kissed my cheek and off she went again, doing her thing. I inhaled a couple deep breaths, smoothing a hand over the purple fabric of my dress. Whenever Bella knew I was coming to an event, she always made sure she picked out the dress for me because she knew what I liked–something breathable, something light, and something purple. She always chose the best ones too and if I didn't at least have her help with that, I would have hated these events a lot more than I already did.

A gentle hand rested on my back and when I turned, green eyes in a full black suit looked back at me. Francis was the only person who hated these social events as much as I did. Damon did too, but he had the advantage of just not having to show up if he didn't want to.