High School

I woke up in the middle of the night, to two people whispering. I rubbed my eyes and sat up a little.

The moonlight coming in from the the window exposed Shane and Nina on her bed, cuddled up with each other. They whispered a little more, then Shane leaned over and kissed her.

"I love you," Shane whispered.

"I love you too."

"What are you guys doing?" I asked, in a voice that was too loud compared to their hushed tones. They jumped, and Nina almost fell of the bed, but Shane caught her, yanking her back up by the hips.

"Did we wake you up?" Nina asked, her cheeks reddening.

"Well, obviously." I rolled my eyes and sat all the way back up.

"Oh sorry," Shane apologized.

"So you two, huh. You're like an item or whatever. That's what my mom used to call that stuff," I said, wiggling my eyebrows dramatically.

"Yeah, she's my girlfriend," Shane smiled down at Nina proudly. I stifled a gag.

"Disgusting. Just carry on with what you were doing I guess, but keep it down. Hands where I can see 'em," I said, laying back down and closing my eyes, putting on the illusion that I was going back to sleep.

I opened my eyes a crack to peek at the clock. 1:00 AM. Shane and Nina were practiced ninjas.

I listened to them kiss and talk, as I tried to fall back asleep. They started making out at around 2:30 AM. The noises were gross, but I shoved a pillow over my head and was finally able to drift off after a while.

Did I want a boyfriend? At the time, I didn't even consider that I could be like that. I hadn't seen much couples, just my parents and now them. Plus a couple having sex with their curtain open, when I was five, at that hotel we stayed in. Other than that, I didn't have much knowledge on the subject.

That morning, I was on time to breakfast. Nina made sure of that. I got dressed in the stupid school uniform that I was forced to wear. It was scratchy and stiff, making my comfortable orange jail jumper feel like a lifetime away.

I had to go to school. For the first time in my life, I was going to high school. I wasn't sure how I felt about that, since I had never experienced it, but I wasn't too excited. From the way Nina and Shane described it, it didn't sound like fun.

Diana drove us to school, since the bus didn't come all the way to her house. The car ride was awkward and silent. No one talked. I tried to whisper some more questions to Nina, but she shushed me and faced straight ahead, her back straight and her chin up. Shane was sitting the same exact way. I scanned the car and realized that Jack was like that too.

     "So weird," I mutter under my breath, purposely shifting into an exaggerated slouch position.

Before, Nina told me that it was the middle of the school year. I tried to ask her what that meant, but she told me I'd find out.

Diana dropped us off in front of a huge building that I figured was the school. We got out of her minivan, and she sped away, barely making sure we were on the ground. Jack stayed in the car.

All kinds of kids circled the building. It was the most amount of kids I had ever seen in one place before.

Nina informed me that her and Shane were freshmen, and I was a junior, so we were in totally different parts of the building. Jack wasn't even in this school yet.

"Just go to the front office and tell them that you're new," Shane said.

I walked in the school confidently, like I owned the place. Kadence West doesn't get nervous.