Fight

It was after dinner. I was walking around, only a little before curfew. Most people were already in their cells. Half the lights had already been turned off, casting shadows over everything.

At times like this, it was usually the younger prisoners walking around, usually ages 18-25. Otherwise known as the rebels.

Technically, Axl and I were part of this generation thing, though we didn't act like it. The younger prisoners are usually more rowdy and obnoxious, just because they're young. That's what they do.

Anyways, I was walking, when I bumped into this big twenty one year old named Matt. I knew his name, because he was in jail since he was nineteen, so I had seen him around a lot.

"Hey! Watch where you're going," he said, harshly.

"Same to you, that wasn't my fault," I sassed back in response.

He took a step closer to me. I was only about up to his shoulder in height, and he probably weighed half as much as me. "What did you say?"

"You heard me," I said, with a small smirk. His face heated up red. He was fuming.

He grabbed my shirt and slammed me against the wall. He pressed his face near mine, our noses practically touching. I groaned and pressed my lips together. "Nobody talks to me like that."

"Well obviously someone should." I kept my cool, unlike Matt.

He pushed me farther into the wall, growling like a psychotic dog with rabies. I was honestly surprised to find him not foaming at the mouth and trying to bite me, to spread his disease.

"Shut up, bi-"

Before he could do anything more, Axl jumped him. He punched him in the face and shoved him to the ground. Matt spat at him, then walked away. Coward.

"I had that under control," I said, glaring at him slightly.

"Didn't look like it," Axl said, wiping his, now bloody, hands on his dark jeans.

"Remember I've been in jail for way longer than you have, I've had to handle myself for a long time." My voice was tight and strained.

"I know, I'm not doubting that you can, but I couldn't just stand there and watch him do that to you."

"Why not?" I asked, my voice growing softer.

He just scratched the back of his neck and shrugged. Like he was embarrassed. Embarrassment was a new thing for me. I hadn't ever really been embarrassed. It was just not an emotion I possessed.

Awkward silence came over us. Was that blush creeping on his cheeks? I wasn't sure. I didn't usually see people blush. I never did.

He sighed sort of irritatedly, though I didn't know what I did to upset him. Was it something I said?

"Have a goodnight," Axl muttered. Then he turned around and walked away from me, scratching the back of his neck and looking at the floor.

"Night," I called after him. He didn't turn around. Then I went the other way, back to my cell. Dropping my arms in disappointment.

Throughout the next week, Axl and I talked only a little. He was acting weird. He seemed distant and didn't want to see me much.

Every time I would ask him if he was okay, he'd just shrug it off and say he was fine. I didn't press, because I didn't care that much.

Fine. That's all I ever got. Fine. Fine almost never meant that they were actually fine.

Like, several days later, I caught him looking at me during breakfast. When I returned his glance, he abruptly dropped his stare, looking at the table, like it was the most interesting thing ever.

I tried to go over to him, but he swiftly walked out of the room. I frowned and went back to my table.

I probably should have found out what was going on with him. Maybe he was on his man period or something.