The Visit

One month later:

I was back where I belonged. I was back in jail. Hallelujah.

I was back with my parents. It was a happy reunion.

I had missed my old friends. Big Joe, Fish, Hammer, Thunder, and Sasha.

Two days after my homecoming, I had some visitors. Three visitors, that I certainly wasn't expecting to ever see again.

"Shane. Nina. Jack," I said, nodding at each one of them in turn. They sat across from me at a table.

"Kadence," Shane replied.

Shane looked angry. Nina looked hurt. And Jack, well, Jack kind of looked confused. I hadn't really talked to him much.

There was a plastic screen separating us, with a hole at the bottom, just so I didn't hurt them. I wouldn't put it past some of these people, including me, actually.

"You're back in jail," Shane said.

"Yep. Back where I belong. I love it here."

Suddenly, Nina's eyes got red, and filled with tears. I rolled my eyes. People these days.

"You betrayed me!" Nina cried. Shane put his arm around her, and she cried hysterically into his shoulder.

"How did I betray you?!" I asked, letting out a little laugh at how stupid she was being. It was way to overdramatic, like a scene out of a crappy movie.

"I thought we were friends!" Nina said, coming out of Shane just long enough to dramatically look at me.

"Yeah, we were. For about a week. For that week, you were an okay friend, but it's over. We're from two different places. I'm from jail, and you're from some foster home. Sorry, but I thought you knew that this wasn't going to last." I kind of sounded like I was breaking up with someone, though I had never really done it.

"I'm ashamed that I thought of you as a friend," Nina droned on, all sinister like, still sobbing her heart out.

"Okay, whatever. Nina." I leaned back in my chair and crossed my arms.

She covered her face and ran away from us. Shane glared at me, then ran after her.

"I can't believe you killed so many people," Nina screeched as she ran.

"Good riddance," Shane growled.

"Bye Nina. Bye Shane. Love you!" I called after them, totally joking. "Ugh, Nina is such a drama queen." I rolled my eyes again.

Then it was just Jack and I. I leaned forward again, and rested my elbows on the table.

"Hey Jack," I said, giving him a little wave.

"Hi Kadence," he said cautiously, "I'm honestly so confused. Where are we? What's going on?" He looked around.

Nina and Shane had probably just dragged him there, him not knowing what they were doing.

I laughed. "Jail." Jack's eyes widened.

"Seriously?"

I laughed again and nodded. He gulped worriedly.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you," I assured.

He relaxed a little. "Okay, good. I thought jail was for bad people. You don't seem bad."

"I'm not just bad. I'm wicked!" I said, completing it with an evil laugh.

"Oh, alright then." Jack smiled a little. I think I was confusing him.

"Did you really kill people?" He asked, after a moment. I nodded.

"Isn't that bad?" Jack frowned slightly.

"Yeah, I told you I was bad."

"Oh. I don't think I want to do that," Jack said thoughtfully.

"That's your choice." I shrugged. "You're a good kid, Jack, I really hope you find a home. And not one like Diana's place, a real home."

"Thanks, Kadence. Have a nice life, he said, smiling at me again.

"Jack!" Shane called. Jack stood up. They must have remembered that they left him.

"Bye Kadence," he said, before running off to meet Shane.

"Bye Jack!" I called after him.