Part 10: The Lesson

The twin moons of Calda were high in the night sky, radiating their beautiful light across the forest. Mira was sitting on a tree branch, overlooking the rebel base. The soldiers were hard at work preparing everything for the attack on Andoridge. Commander Thorn was barking orders, checking manifests, and going back and forth talking to officers and other soldiers. Coris was at the hologram table, looking over a map of the city and marking certain points of interest for Thorn to review. It seemed that the quiet, peaceful time they had shared in the valley was over. Mira knew it wouldn't last forever, but she treasured it none the less.

"What are you doing up here all alone?"

"Oh, hey Del."

"Moons look nice tonight don't they?"

"Yeah, they're beautiful."

There was a still silence as Del sat down beside Mira. They both looked and admired the beautiful celestial bodies in front of them. Del had been all across the galaxy as a Jedi, but he was still dumbfounded and amazed by everything in it.

"I, uh, need to tell you something." Mira said, breaking the silence

"What is it?"

"I wanted to say...thank you. For taking me to my Trials. It was really kind of you to do that."

"Oh, don't sweat it. Just happy to do it!"

Another awkward silence fell between them, Del looking out into the stars and Mira looking around.

"Um, also...you, uh, never knighted me to make my Jedi Knight status official."

"Oh! Well, guess we should do that huh?" Del said as he chuckled to himself. "Here, I found a nice little clearing in the forest where the moon shines beautifully. We'll do it there!"

The two hopped down branch by branch to get out of the tree. They finally reached the ground and walked over to Commander Thorn, who was over at the hologram table with Coris.

"Commander, Mira and I will be away for a bit. Jedi business."

"What kind of Jedi business?" Coris asked skeptically.

Del walked over and whispered in his ear

"Seriously? You forgot?"

"Look, we haven't had a lot of time to do it since the Temple so cut me some slack alright?"

"Well don't take too long, it's getting dark and you both need plenty of rest."

The two nodded as they walked out of the base and into the woods. Del led the way to the small clearing he we talking about. He had found it while patrolling the base earlier. When they arrived, the moons were nearly overhead, their light making it look like a sign that this was the spot intended to be used for the ceremony.

"So, uh, how does this work?" Mira asked.

"Oh, uh, do you still happen to have your Padawan braid?"

Mira pushed her hair back to reveal a small braid. She had hidden shortly after Order 66 for her own safety. Now, she wouldn't have to hide it anymore.

"Alright, just, make sure I can see it. It's kind of important to the whole process. Now, kneel, and let's do this."

Mira kneeled on the ground, and Del pulled out and ignited his lightsaber. As he passed the blade over her shoulders and her head, he said,

"By the right of the Council, by the Way of the Force, Mira..."

Mira looked up at Del. In one swift motion, Del swung his lightsaber to cut off Mira's Padawan braid. It landed on the ground, a symbol of passing on from being a Padawan.