Chapter-40

Lauren Hart

I couldn't imagine anything so satisfying than having Ryan fast asleep in my arms.

I gently caressed his face with the back of my hand, thinking about what the child had ever done to anybody that he had to go through all the mess. He needed to be free from the evils that were after him. And there was only one person who could do that; Sean, but he too was distributed. I saw the frustration on his face when he left the room.

I gently unwrapped my arms from around Ryan and sat up. After covering him with the duvet and making sure he was comfortable and was not going to wake up, I left the room to look for Sean.

I found him on the balcony of his room, slumped on a cushioned chair with his face stuffed between his palms. His stiff body language could tell how disturbed he was. His disheveled hair told the story of the war that he had been fighting with himself. He hadn't changed his clothes yet, just his suit jacket was dumped on the floor.

"Sean," I whispered as I moved closer to him. He flinched all of a sudden as though not expecting anyone to disturb his deep thinking process. He slowly raised his head and peered into my eyes for a second before reverting to his previous position.

"Lauren please leave; I want to be alone." He mumbled in a gloomy voice. I felt a tug on my heart when I heard his sorrowful voice. He was alone and he needed someone to comfort him, but would not accept it, or maybe he forgot that I was there to make his loneliness disappear.

Sighing, I sat on the chair placed opposite him. However, he asked me to leave but I couldn't. He didn't leave me alone in my miserable state then how could I? No matter if he didn't want to talk to me, I would give him company.

He sensed my presence because he lifted his head and grimaced. "Didn't I ask you to leave?"

I uneasily tapped my right foot on the floor and biting the inside of my cheek, I crossed my arms and leaned forward.

"Consider me invisible but I am not leaving you alone," I mumbled sincerely, looking directly into his restless Oceanic eyes. He sealed his gaze on me trying to study my motives.

I thought he would pent out his frustration on me but to my surprise, he sighed and sat straight. "Come here." He waved his two fingers asking me to go near him.

I stood up without hesitation and approached him. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me on his lap then he nuzzled his face in my neck. It didn't take long for me to embrace him in my warmth.

"I am worried, Lauren." He muttered against my neck. I could feel his racing heartbeat. Exhaling a soft breath, I lifted my hand and ran it through his hair soothingly.

"Everything will be fine, Sean," I whispered. "I know you will come up with something."

He embraced me firmly and I felt him resting his chin on my shoulder. Frowning a little, I gently pushed him. He avoided looking into my eyes.

"Sean?" I cupped his face to force him to look at me. He again flipped his head making my hands hang in the air. Something was bothering him.

"Se-"

He faced me again. "I have come up with something." Saying that he dropped his head back on the backrest of the chair then abruptly sat straight, startling me.

"I...I don't know if it's even logical or not but I couldn't think of anything else." I could feel the restlessness in his voice.
"I am not sure if I'll be able to pull it off but right now, this is the only thing that can keep Ryan safe. I am still hesitant to talk to anybody about it. I mean what if I am proved wrong? What if-"