Chapter-8

Lauren Hart

As the cab inched closer to the destination, anxiety started to grow inside me. I had numerous questions for myself. Will I be okay? Won't it be awkward living with him? And his grandmother, will she like me? His nephew, what about him?

The cab stopped before his house and my eyes analyzed the peaceful surrounding and the house which seemed to be a fine piece of architecture. Honestly, I was having cold feet. I wanted to run to the place not mentioned on the world map where my boss couldn't find me to slaughter me into pieces. But he was in trouble and asked me to help him and I gave him my words so I couldn't back out.

"Miss, are you going to step out or not?" The driver interrupted my thoughts. When I saw his rude face in the rearview mirror I couldn't help but think—has the politeness from earth flown to some other planet?

Shaking my head in disbelief I took out a $20 note from my handbag and passed it to the driver.

"Miss, give the change."

I groaned. For heaven's sake, it was just $20 and he didn't have the change? My fare was $7 and $20 was the minimum I had.

"Do you accept cards?" I asked.

"Yes, but right now the machine is not working."

I groaned again. Luck always tries to screw things up for me. Now what? From where should I bring the change? Agghhh! I had no option left but to ask for Mr. Peterson's help.

"Wait here for a minute." I stepped out of the cab and took out my suitcases then rushed to his house, dragging my suitcases with me. If I had not been in a hurry I would have admired the beauty of the huge lawn which had almost all the shades of green.

I pressed the doorbell—and as if the person was standing against the door—the door flung open almost instantly bringing me face to face with furious Sean Peterson.

He first looked back then at me and then he came out, shutting the door behind him, and started to whisper yell at me. "Where have you been, Miss Hart? Don't you know the value of time? I told you to be at my place before noon and now it's ten minutes past twelve. How can you be so irresponsible? My grandma is already here and she's asking for you. Now step inside and clear the mess."

"Uh...okay but first...do you have change?" I waved $20 before his eyes.

"What?"

"I have to pay $7 to the cab driver and—"

"Ugh! I'll pay. You just go inside." He snapped and walked past me.

I was mulling over whether to go inside or not when I heard a maddening voice from behind.

"Why are you still standing here?" I whipped my head to see him approaching me.

"Uh, I was waiting for you."

"Hadn't I told you to go inside?" He said rudely before opening the door for me.

"Before we go inside. Thank you for paying for my fare, I owe you—"

I was again cut off rudely. "Just step inside, that would be enough, Miss Hart."

And I did.

"Grandma, this is..."  His overly excited grandma cut him off in the middle and rushed to me.

"The woman that lives with you. I had been waiting to meet you, dear." Her old yet gleaming eyes and the warm welcome I received had put a gentle smile on my lips.

"Hello, Mrs. Peterson. I'm Lauren Hart."

"What a beautiful name you have. And dear, call me Julia or grandma."