• T W E N T Y F I V E •

A R I U S

Flashback **

Arius hikes up his backpack and trudges along with Viggo by his side.
Venus is prancing in front of them as she tails her father's footsteps while humming a tune way too on point for a seven year old.
Arius was sure she'd grow up to be one among the greats like Whitney Houston, David Phelps and Mariah Carey. She was too good.
Often times, when Viggo and Arius would jam together, she'd join in and sing. She was his duet partner more times than not.

They're out on a family weekend trek which they did every other week. Their families were thick as thieves and were always spotted together in their community because of all the parties and dinners they hosted.

Arius is feeling particularly daring today as he steps closer to the steep drop down from one of the hills they're scouting.

"Arius, get away from there, you're going to hurt yourself." His father's voice rings out, startling him.

"Yeah dad." He replies, gingerly stepping away from the steep edge.

Not a second has passed by after his father and Mr.Ryse turn around when Arius tiptoes back to his position and puts his finger on his lips, motioning for Viggo to shut up.
Viggo furrows his brows and shakes his head in warning as they walk silently.
He's having a damn ball walking on the edge while simultaneously trying to do it in silence.

"Dad! Aji is going to fall!" Venus shouts all of a sudden. Arius whips his head up alarmingly quick, shaking his head furiously at Venus.

Arius hurriedly tries to jump away from the edge when the loose rock and sand beneath him gives way, sending him toppling over the edge as he rolls down the hill, hitting multiple bushes and rocks as he gains momentum.

The next thing he knows, his head is burning and it feels like someone's twisting his leg mercilessly. He cries out in pain and in a second, Viggo jumps over a boulder and topples over a little bit as he struggles to reach him.

"What the fuck is wrong with you Ari?" He whisper-shouts, scrunching his forehead painfully as he stands up and holds his hand out for him to take.

Arius cannot speak, it's like his throat's dried up and a searing pain shoots up his leg making him want to rip his hair out in agony.
He looks down and sees his pants ripped near the knee, blood oozing out of the wound, the sight making him queasy and faint.
He stands up with Viggo's help and tries to rub his left arm that's throbbing when he realises that he can't feel his right arm.

Nothing, zilch.

He wills it to come up again, but no such luck. His eyes widen in horror as Viggo gingerly lifts his arm and it wobbles and feels like jello; like all of his bones were displaced.
Viggo and Arius look at each other, speechless.

"Fucking hell." Viggo breathes out.

"Boys?" Mr.Ryse calls.

"Uh dad? Y'all should come here."

The two men carefully climb over the edge with Venus in Aaron's arms.