• N I N E T E E N •

A R I U S

Arius was lying on Viggo's bed as he did his math assignment for the holidays. He'd already done his and since each of them were assigned a different set of questions, he had offered to complete Viggo's paper.

"Did you submit your form?" Viggo asked, playing a progression of chords on his guitar.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. I'm not going home this time man." Arius said, looking up from the papers.

"What? You should've told me, I would've stayed with you, idiot." Viggo said, aggressively twanging the strings again.

"Eesh, the tuning's off, fix it before you hit the strings again." Arius said, wrinkling his nose.

"Where's Mads?" He wondered aloud.

"Oh, I think she and Tirzah have some sort of bet going on. Something about who can run up to the oak tree and back fastest, in nothing but a tank and shorts."

"I'm pretty sure Tirzah will win." Arius chuckled.

"Why aren't you going home anyway?" Viggo asked, as he sat down on his bed next to Arius.

"Dude, I really don't want all the patronizing and extra love and affection. I know, I know they do it out of concern and all, but it really pisses me off sometimes, and I just don't want to say mean things." Arius grimaced, recalling his conversation with a certain someone that he'd recently struck up an odd sort of friendship with.

"Whatever's best for you man. But you're going to be stuck here all alone, all of us are leaving for the holidays." Viggo reasoned.

"I want to spend time by myself Vig, I've hardly had that after I lost my arm. Besides, the food is perfect, the nature's captivating. I can walk around for days without the usual bustle, I'm really hoping it does some good y'know? The nightmares struck again last night."

"Again? Did Koovs or Madilyn wake up?" Viggo asked, sounding alarmed.

"No, I can't just say 'hey guys I'm having a nightmare, please stay up with me for the rest of the night' come on!" Arius rolled his eyes.

"You can call me, you know that right? I have my phone loud at all times just so I can be there for you, okay? Call me, or I'm going to get us to room together somehow." Viggo stated.

Arius just nodded. Calling Viggo and disturbing him in the middle of the night wasn't exactly his ideal solution. He'd play soccer for two hours every day and come back to the dorms dead tired.

This was what he hated most about the consequences of the incident. He was always dependant on Viggo, he felt like a fucking five year old who couldn't tie his shoelaces right.
Viggo hadn't signed up for this when they became best friends, it just wasn't fair.
Nothing was fucking fair.
He got so angry sometimes but he had to bottle it all up inside because fake it till you make it, right?

But it never worked for Arius, everything was just building up inside his head and he was nearing his saturation point. He just didn't have the will to do anything anymore, which was why he was so reluctant to make friends or even engage in class activities for that matter.

He had gone off on Elijah once and regretted it everyday. As much as he wanted to forget about it, it always was at the back of his mind.
In his defense, he was the kind who liked a little peace and quiet to himself when he was going through something troubling. But when he'd called out Elijah and yelled the fuck out of his lungs at him, he felt strangely light after he'd done it and realised that it was better to express his feelings, to let it all out somehow.