• T H R E E •

^ Jacob Blake

- - -

E L I J A H

Elijah was startled awake by a loud noise very close to him. His blurry vision adjusted and he looked towards the source of the noise only to find Ryder sitting up on the floor with a disgruntled look on her face. Her covers were half up, half wrapped around her legs.
She'd fallen.
Elijah couldn't stop the bubbling laughter that rose up in his throat and escaped out.
Ryder looked offended, and extremely sleepy.

"I can't believe this. You're going to die, I'm betting on two weeks tops!" Elijah exclaimed, before dissolving into another fit of laughter.
He just couldn't stop laughing.

That was another problem that people who came into contact with Elijah had to witness. He would laugh and laugh and laugh, sometimes even at the most un-funny things.

His laughter was cut short when Ryder threw her alarm clock at his head rather aggressively.
He dodged it, obviously. His reflexes were unrealistically quick.

"Get ready for class, or we'll be late."

He realised that they had only an hour before class started. They took turns showering in the bathroom and dressed themselves in their uniforms.

A crisp, white shirt with the school crest on the left breast pocket, maroon tie for the boys, blue tie for the girls and a pair of black dress pants.
They had a black blazer and a sweater that was optional to wear. They were supposed to tuck their shirts in and were allowed shoes of their choice.

They exited the building from the other end and made their way to another building, a few hundred metres away from their dorm. It was painted beige and brown and was not circular, unlike the dorm. They stepped inside and looked for their first class.
Advanced English.
They finally found it on the first floor, a bold banner hanging on the door with:

ADVANCED ENGLISH - MRS. BAKER

They were sort of late and the only seats available were near the window on one side of the room and one at the back of the class. Ryder took the seat at the back.

"Children, I'm Mrs.Baker and I'll be teaching you English. I expect punctuality or you will be assigned extra tasks to make up for the tardiness." She said, eyeing Elijah and Ryder particularly.
She looked very young, hardly older than her students. She was on the shorter side, and wore a chunky pair of heels.

"Alright now, we'll have the introductory session first to get to know each other and I'll give you an assignment - yes I know it's the first day, but it's nothing that'll take you hours to complete. Quit whining."

Elijah learnt through the session the names of his classmates and familiarised himself with the many faces for future reference.
What he was NOT ready for, whatsoever, was the presence of the boy with grey eyes on his right. He had somehow completely missed out on seeing him.
He took a good look at him in the daylight and noted that he had an absolutely killer jawline and the straightest nose he'd ever seen. He ran a hand through his messy, brown curls. Or waves?
Elijah didn't know.

"Mr.Kingston, if you're done ogling at Megan I'd appreciate it if you paid attention." snapped a voice from the front, effectively pulling Elijah out of his trance.

He didn't know how long he'd been staring. He assumed Megan was the girl sitting in front of the boy. She looked back at Elijah and winked. Uh, no thank you, he was definitely not looking at Megan.
But Mrs.Baker didn't need to know that.

What was it with this guy catching Elijah's attention again?

Everyone was looking at Elijah now. He shook himself and tried to pay attention. But no, his mind wouldn't have it. Besides, he could feel a stare that was burning through his right cheek. His stomach felt weird and airy for some reason.