▲ Agoraphobia ▲

Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder that causes an intense fear of becoming overwhelmed or unable to escape or get help. Because of fear and anxiety, people with agoraphobia often avoid new places and unfamiliar situations, like:

Large, open areas or enclosed spaces.

Crowds.

Places outside of their home.

Public transportation.

》People often misunderstand agoraphobia as a fear of open spaces, but it is more complex than that. Situations or places that may trigger fear in people with agoraphobia include public transport, crowds, and open countryside.

》The signs of agoraphobia are similar to a panic attack. You may experience the following symptoms when you're in situations or spaces that cause fear:

Chest pain or rapid heart rate.

Fear or a shaky feeling.

Hyperventilation or trouble breathing.

Lightheadedness or dizziness.

Sudden chills or flushing (red, hot face).

Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis).

Upset stomach.

》 a 2015 study found that levels of low-grade inflammation appeared to increase over time in people with agoraphobia. This suggests that people with the condition may have a higher risk of atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease.

Risk factors for developing agoraphobia include:

Having panic attacks.

Responding to panic attacks with excess fear and apprehension.

Having other phobias.

Experiencing stressful life events, such as the death of a loved one, assault or abuse, especially during childhood.

Being sensitive to anxiety or having other anxiety disorders.

Having a relative with agoraphobia.

》Researchers don't know the exact cause of agoraphobia. However, it's often associated with an existing panic disorder. Panic disorder causes short, intense attacks of fear for no particular reason. About a third of people who have panic disorder develop agoraphobia. But agoraphobia also can occur alone.
Though agoraphobia may follow panic disorder, the DSM-5 considers them separate diagnoses.

》Untreated, agoraphobia can severely reduce a person's quality of life. For example:

Activities outside of the home such as work, school, socialising, hobbies and many forms of exercise are out of reach.

Financial hardship, isolation, loneliness and boredom may lead to greater feelings of distress and increase the risk of depression.

The person may recognise that their fear is irrational, but feel powerless to do anything about it.

They may feel angry and frustrated with themselves.

These negative feelings damage self-esteem and contribute to depression, and other anxieties and fears.

The person may try to cope using unhealthy methods (such as comfort eating, drugs or alcohol), which in turn can cause or contribute to further health problems.

》Less than 1% of people in the U.S. have agoraphobia. Women are two to three times more likely to have it than men, and it's more common in teenagers and young adults.

How is agoraphobia diagnosed?
If you think you have agoraphobia, and the anxiety is interfering with your daily life, you should talk to a primary care physician or a mental healthcare provider, like a psychiatrist or psychologist. If you're afraid to visit a medical office in person, you may be able to schedule a telephone or video appointment.

》Agoraphobia treatment usually involves a combination of treatment methods:

Psychotherapy (talk therapy).
Medication.
Lifestyle changes.
Psychotherapy

》The following lifestyle changes may also help you manage agoraphobia:

Avoid alcohol, caffeine and other substances.
Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.
Exercise regularly.
Practice breathing exercises.

》Agoraphobia can make you feel afraid and isolated. But with treatment, you can manage the symptoms and lead a full life. If agoraphobia or any anxiety disorder affects the way you live your life, talk to a healthcare provider. An open, honest conversation can lead to the help you need.