▲ Happiness ▲

Happiness is an electrifying and elusive state. Philosophers, theologians, psychologists, and even economists have long sought to define it. And since the 1990s, a whole branch of psychology—positive psychology—has been dedicated to pinning it down. More than simply positive mood, happiness is a state of well-being that encompasses living a good life, one with a sense of meaning and deep contentment.

Attaining happiness is a global pursuit. Researchers find that people from every corner of the world rate happiness more important than other desirable personal outcomes, such as obtaining wealth, acquiring material goods, and getting into heaven.

Happiness is not the result of bouncing from one joy to the next; researchers find that achieving happiness typically involves times of considerable discomfort.
Genetic makeup, life circumstances, achievements, marital status, social relationships, even your neighbors—all influence how happy you are.

》The Pew Research Center conducted the same survey in both 2006 and 2008 and found that those who are politically Conservative tend to be happier than those who describe themselves as politically liberal.

》A research study published in Global Environmental Change found that people are happier outdoors than they are indoors.

》Interestingly, a study done by Rutgers University found that floral scents trigger the brain and increase feelings of happiness.

》Studies have shown that, in general, married individuals are happier than their single peers.

》Countless studies have shown that colors can have an effect on our moods. When we wear bright colors, such as yellow, the effect on our mood is positive. Conversely, wearing darker colors, especially gray, led to likelier feelings of moroseness, anxiety, and depression.

》Modern-day researchers have found that our general happiness levels are about 50% genetic, 40% choice, and only 10% circumstantial.

》Most people think success makes you happy, but according to, The How of Happiness, happiness creates success.

》 Studies have found that when we are around animals, our brain releases oxytocin. Known also as the "cuddle hormone," oxytocin instantly gives us feelings of happiness

》Scientists have found that people who pretend to be happier will actually begin to feel happier

》If you want to be happy, spend time with other happy people

》Here are a few of the outward signs that someone is content:

Is open to learning new things

Is high in humility and patience

Smiles and laughs readily

Goes with the flow

Practices compassion

Is often grateful

Exercises self-care

Enjoys healthy relationships

Is happy for other people

Gives and receives without torment

Lives with meaning and purpose

Does not feel entitled and has fewer expectations

Is not spiteful or insulting

Does not hold grudges

Does not register small annoyances

Does not angst over yesterday and tomorrow

Does not play games

Is not a martyr or victim

Is not stingy with their happiness

Happy people enjoy deep philosophical conversations that stimulate the intellect. Happier people had twice as many conversations as unhappy people

》when scientists examine the average trajectory of happiness over the lifespan, some patterns tend to emerge. Happiness and satisfaction begin relatively high, decrease from adolescence to midlife, and rise throughout older adulthood.

Helping Others Make You Happy. Do things for people that you value, no matter how simple your help is.

》Misperceptions abound when it comes to what we think will make us happy. People often believe that happiness will be achieved once they reach a certain milestone, such as finding the perfect partner or landing a particular salary.

The type of thoughts below exemplify these misconceptions about happiness:

"I'll be happy when I'm rich and successful."
"I'll be happy when I'm married to the right person."
"Landing my dream job will make me happy."
"I can't be happy when my relationship has fallen apart."
"I will never recover from this diagnosis."
"The best years of my life are over."

Humans, however, are excellent at adapting to new circumstances, which means that people will habituate to their new relationship or wealth, return to a baseline level of happiness, and seek out the next milestone. Fortunately, the same principle applies to setbacks—we are resilient and will most likely find happiness again.

10 Minutes of Exercise Makes You Happy. Exercising releases Dopamine, which is a neurotransmitter in your brain responsible for a "Happy State of Mind"

Health and happiness are completely intertwined. That's not to say that people with illnesses can't be happy, but that attending to one's health is an important—and perhaps underappreciated—component of well-being.

Researchers have identified many links between health and happiness—including a longer lifespan—but it's difficult to distinguish which factor causes the other. Making changes to diet, exercise, sleep, and more can help everyone feel more content.