▲ Learning ▲

Sorry if this ones a little boring

》The psychology of learning refers to theories and research on how individuals learn. There are many theories of learning. Some take on a more behaviorist approach which focuses on inputs and reinforcements.

3 Types of Learning in Psychology

Classical Conditioning
Classical conditioning is a learning process in which an association is made between a previously neutral stimulus and a stimulus that naturally evokes a response. For example, if you don't know how to swim and were to fall into a pool, you'd take actions to avoid the pool.

Operant Conditioning
Operant conditioning is a learning process in which the probability of a response occurring is increased or decreased due to reinforcement or punishment. First studied by Edward Thorndike and later by B.F. Skinner, the underlying idea behind operant conditioning is that the consequences of our actions shape voluntary behavior. For example, your child might learn to complete their homework because you reward them with treats and/or praise. For example, a teen's older sibling gets a speeding ticket, with the unpleasant results of fines and restrictions. The teen then learns not to speed when they take up driving.

Observational Learning
Observational learning is a process in which learning occurs through observing and imitating others. Albert Bandura's social learning theory suggests that in addition to learning through conditioning, people also learn through observing and imitating the actions of others.

When you are learning, important changes take place in your brain, including the creation of new connections between your neurons. This phenomenon is called neuroplasticity. The more you practice, the stronger these connections become.

Practice work in science provides children little or no learning at all

In an attempt to enrich learning, science curriculums often have practice work or labs that teach the science concepts learned in the textbook. However, an in-depth review by Justin Dillon from King's College in London, found that practical work isn't always as effective as it may appear on the surface.

Gardening improves children's desire to learn and boosts their confidence
(The Royal Horticulture Society in the UK has started a campaign to bring gardening back into the school systems. Thousands of schools have participated and some of the findings point to gardening as a crucial learning tool for children. These are just some of the few findings.

Kids who garden show a better ability to concentrate.

Gardening helped use up surplus energy in active kids.

The process of growing something from seed to fruit helps teach children responsibility and managing a living organism.

Some students learned valuable math skills as they sold their produce to the town for a profit.
Getting in touch with the dirt and bugs, helped some young students overcome their fears.

An English teacher found her student's creativity in poetry expanded after working in the garden.

Playing with blocks increases neuron count in children

Researchers note that something as simple as toy blocks can have incredible impacts on a young student's mind. Even with 15 minutes of free play, children will use some of that time learning about mathematical and spatial principles. Blocks, one of the simplest and longstanding toys, teach geometry, patterns, shapes, colors, and physics.

Teaching kids at a very early age is counterproductive to their learning

When children in a controlled study were given a toy that did multiple things like squeaking, play music, etc., the children who had a teacher instructing them on how the toy worked did not explore it further than the directions given by the adult. However, the students who were given the toy with no specific instructions discovered the way it worked, as well as several different other mechanisms that weren't immediately obvious).

Green spaces or natural backyards elevate children's learning through discovery

Research documented in Colorado University's Journal of Children, Youth, and Environments noted that students who were given access to green woodlands, ponds, and other natural habitats had an increase in social cooperation and creativity, as opposed to the children who were given an asphalt yard with a jungle gym.

Rapping helps children learn the concept of place value in math

(The Southwest Educational Development Laboratory put out a classroom math lesson that included a rap song! It is not all that surprising that rap music helps with mathematical concepts. The steady rhythm, and the cadence and rhyming of words make the song easier to remember. The concept is written into the lyrics and the children can learn the song, and thus the mathematical rule.)

》Children who participate in laughing activities experience increase in memory retention

Pam Schiller and Clarissa A. Willis, both PhD authors, speakers, and curriculum specialists, put out an article that highlights this fact. They note that laughter not only increases a child's capacity to remember the humor, but it also gives a feeling of security and contentment. It is important that teachers use funny songs, games, or silly phrases to start a lesson.

Daydreaming boosts brain activity

Daydreaming is often seen as wasting time and sometimes a lack of the ability to focus. But recent research found the opposite is true.
Among its many benefits, daydreaming has been associated with longer attention span, increased resolve, creativity and even higher IQ.