▼ Obsessive Love Disorder ▼

Obsessive love disorder" (OLD) refers to a condition where you become obsessed with one person you think you may be in love with. You might feel the need to protect your loved one obsessively, or even become controlling of them as if they were a possession.

Symptoms of OLD may include:

an overwhelming attraction to one person

obsessive thoughts about the person

feeling the need to "protect" the person you're in love with

possessive thoughts and actions

extreme jealousy over other interpersonal interactions

low self-esteem

》There are other signs of this disorder, such as:

repeated texts, emails, and phone calls to the person they're interested in

a constant need for reassurance

difficulty having friendships or maintaining contact with family members because of the obsession over one person

monitoring the actions of the other person

controlling where the other person goes and the activities they engage in

》There's no one single cause of OLD. Instead, it may be linked to other types of mental health disabilities such as:

Attachment disorders
This group of disorders refers to people who have emotional attachment issues, such as a lack of empathy or an obsession with another person.

Borderline personality disorder
This mental health disorder is characterized by a disturbance with self-image coupled with severe mood swings. Borderline personality disorder can cause you to be extremely angry to extremely happy within a matter of minutes or hours.

Delusional jealousy
Based on delusions (events or facts you believe to be true), this disorder is exhibited by an insistence on things that are already proven false.

Erotomania
This disorder is an intersection between delusional and obsessive love disorders. With erotomania, you believe that someone famous or of a higher social status is in love with you.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a combination of obsessive thoughts and compulsive rituals. These are severe enough to interfere with your everyday life. OCD can also cause you to need constant reassurance, which can affect your relationships.

Obsessional jealousy
Unlike delusional jealousy, obsessional jealousy is a nondelusional preoccupation with a partner's perceived infidelity. This preoccupation can lead to repetitive and compulsive behaviors in response to infidelity concerns.

》While OLD is gaining more attention, it's relatively rare. It's estimated that less than 0.1 percent of people have the disorder.

》The precise treatment plan for this disorder depends on the underlying cause. However, it often involves a combination of medication and psychotherapy.
Medications can be used to adjust brain chemicals. In turn, this can reduce the symptoms of the disorder.

》If you or a loved one has possible symptoms of obsessive love disorder, you should see a doctor. They may refer you to a psychiatrist to help determine whether you truly have OLD. You may also have another mental health illness.