Ranking. Get Up There!

We're going to take a little vacation - no writing lessons this time. Instead, I have to ask: have you been struggling getting your story through the ranks? If so, then you came to the right place. I'm going to give you an amazing tip on how to get your story up there.

Wait, what did I just say?

I just said that I am going to teach you how to get your story rising through the ranks! There are tricks to it! Of course, you don't have to do this. If you don't care about ranking then this won't concern you, but I recommend you read this anyways.

How to get to the top.

The first true thing you need is to realize that not every story makes it to the front page, as well as lots and lots of patience and persistence. I'd say less than 1 percent of all stories even hit the Hot Page, but you can increase those odds if you take this tip.

The most important thing you need is a good story with some loyal readers. Two or three loyal readers will make a HUGE difference. Every single vote, read, and comment helps. However, if you hope to even stay on the front page for even a minute, you need some good writing. Almost flawless writing. We'll get to editing later, don't worry.

First, you need to establish a fan base. Get some fans. Write your story. Follow some people. Why's that in bold? Because it makes you stand out more! Follow people and they will follow you back. The more the better. I promise you that.

Next, you need to be extremely dedicated and have a section or two done once every week or two. The less you write, the less of a chance you have on getting a front page story. If you don't update often, readers will turn away and you will fall through the ranks. To add to that, part of your ranking is based on how often you update. If there's two months between each update, don't expect getting very far. Although it can happen, it's very unlikely.

When Should I Update My Story?

Easy question. Whenever a part is finished, of course!

But when should you update? Once a week. Update at least once a week and avoid Saturdays. You want to update on days where there is the most traffic, and Saturday is pretty much a dead zone

You get ranked by how many reads, votes, and comments you get from the first moment you update. Three days later you are ranked accordingly, which is why it is so important that your have a steady fan base. Do not update more than once every three days. If you have multiple chapters written, post them one at a time. You are also ranked based on how often you update, but short intervals between updating are not counted towards your ranking.

Aside from Friday, Tuesday would be the day to update. It's three days after your last update; you'll be ranked while receiving more reads just to be followed by another round of rankings. Better ranking, more readers, and a very happy you.

Summing It Up

To condense everything I just said:

1) Get some fans/readers.

2) Write your story and update at least once a week, avoiding Saturdays and aiming for Fridays. I know you have a busy life and all that, but if you can find time to write for 15 minutes a day, you will be ready to update by the time Friday rolls around. Remember to wait 3-4 days before updating your story again.

I hope you'll take this tip into consideration. I can't assure you'll get on the Hot List, but it never hurts to try. This is just a really good way to get there, of course.

Now that we've taken a little vacation from our writing topics, you might be having a little trouble trying to get back into the groove. Let's just say that after the next lesson, author's block won't be such a big problem anymore. But for now...

-OrangeGuy out!