Prologues

So, I realize a lot of you jumped straight to this section. That's great, because this is the section where we will begin writing...for some of us, at least. I'll get back to this down below, don't worry.

The first thing we should start writing is your first "chapter", but there's a chance you have the ability to write a prologue. We will be learning how to write a prologue in this section.

First off, just because you have the ability to, doesn't mean you should. Prologues are not a requirement, and hence, not everyone needs them.

If you don't have the need for a prologue right now, you should go on ahead and read it anyway. You may write another story that may need one.

What is a Prologue?

Very good question, what exactly is a prologue, and what does it consist of?

Well, a prologue is a written piece of work that is read before the actual story. It should not give away much information and it should create tension. Just enough information to where we can somewhat tell what's going on. Create suspense is the key here. Create suspense. That's what it does. Create suspense.

A prologue is an introduction or a backstory. You know that first thing you read when you started reading the guide? That's a type of prologue. As this is an informational booklet and not for entertainment, I used an interesting fact instead of suspense since I really doubt starting out with a boring fact would be suspenseful. We will get to drawing the reader in soon, but understand what type of story you're writing.

I will get a little off-topic with this, but remember PIEE, Persuade, Inform, Entertain, and Express. Determine what type of story you are writing. If you are Entertaining, then your prologue should be suspenseful, create mystery!

When Can I Have a Prologue?

Great question. When should you have a prologue? Under the most dire circumstances. They should be used with caution. If you need to set up the story, briefly (creating suspense!), or if you need to draw the reader in somehow, use a prologue, but this is why you need a good opening sentence (which we will get to later.)

You Don't Need a Prologue to Have a Good Story

Okay, I hope I've expressed that enough, but guess what. You don't need a prologue!

What? Then why are you talking about it!

Prologues are over-used by many inexperienced writers, and they/you feel it's needed to explain the character's life story, appearance, features, and all sorts of other things. If you are trying to create mystery, weave it into the story.

Based on GwenMadoc's work GET PUBLISHED, no matter how much a writer tells a reader about a character, the reader won't care. We don't like knowing who the character is on-the-spot. Readers want to work their way into knowing the main character.

If there is critical information in the prologue, weave it into the story somehow. It will create twists! In fact, some readers skip the prologue and head straight to the first chapter because that's where they think all the suspense is! (Thanks Gwen, for this awesome article. Every word is like gold.)

Well there you go. If you plan to make a prologue, remember these words and DO check GwenMadoc's work GET PUBLISHED, it has priceless information about prologues and more. If you planned on having a prologue but decide you don't want to anymore, I wish you luck on weaving in the information with your story!

Happy writing!