Synopsis/Covers

Your story's description and cover is what draws in your readers. Your first sentence has to hook your readers in, but you can't get them to read it without an amazing cover and a suspenseful synopsis, or story description.

Story Covers

I can keep this one short. Have an amazing cover. Don't stop looking for or making one until you know you'll get readers to look at your story. There's Wattpad forums where you can request a story cover or find a cover maker.

Get a cover that matches the theme of your story. If the plot is happy and uplifting, have one with bright colors. If the plot is creepy, have a cover with darker colors. Common sense. Once you have readers clicking your story, you NEED something to draw them in with. That's where the synopsis comes in.

Your Story's Description

Once you have defined your plot and you can predict where it is going, you can create your story description, or even a small sentence that hooks readers in. It needs to be catchy. It needs to be short and sweet. It needs to distinguish your story from others. This might be the hardest thing you will ever right, but let's start out with something.

A typical synopsis might be something like: Meet orangey-male, OrangeGuy, a user on Wattpad. He writes stories. But one day he creates this guide. And now you are reading it. Will you read through or turn away without trying?

That's pathetic, I know, but it gives a simple format. It stated the character, what the character is and does, and it introduces the action in the story. Then it ends with two questions. The two questions should be avoided. Hook the readers in by letting them make their own questions instead of offering them two simple ones. Don't cut the reader's creativity. That's a quick way to lose.

Let me tell you this. This format works, but it isn't effective. The LESS information you give away and the MORE suspense you create, the better of a chance you have at getting that reader. If the reader feels like he or she already knows the character, then what's the point of reading if you already gave away their entire life in the synopsis.

The more unique your story description is, the better you distinguish your story and the more readers you get. That makes us all happy, doesn't it?

Main line: Describe your story. What is it about? For starters, you could come up with a catchy line or phrase and use that as your description until you further your plot.

Well, hopefully this will help you create your synopsis and draw some readers in. Good luck!

-OrangeGuy