Making Friends. Start Socializing!

So you remember when we talked about Followers and Following people? Well, we will be going back, but in a more detailed manner.

What am I trying to say? Well, since you're now, or have been, experienced in Wattpad, you need friends. What's Wattpad, the most social reading website, without friends? Heads up though:some of the things I talk about will be in a section of Wattpad not available on the Mobile version. Still, everyone should read this.

Making friends will help you in the longrun if you are an author or want to become one. Believe me, having close friends that will boost your start can mean the difference from Wattpad's black hole and the Featured stories.

Let's begin, shall we?

Following

Firstly, let's look at the number of people you are following. Are you following 10, 100, or 1000? Many people on Wattpad will follow you right back. Let's say half of the people you follow will follow you right back. In this case, it's 5, 50, and 500. There might even be a chance one will begin talking with you.

Follow your favorite writers, friends, or even someone that has a nice profile picture. You may like these people!

Invite Friends

We talked about inviting friends briefly in the Getting to Know Wattpad section of the guide, and you may not think much about it. Let's put it this way: Wattpad is an under-the-radar website. You won't hear about it in a conversation between your friends, on the T.V., and many other common uses we hear about things such as Facebook, Tumblr, etc., unless someone shares something on those. In fact, many of you may have found this website through friends.

I will briefly share how I found Wattpad, and maybe you will be inspired to share with your friends.

One day I was texting with my friend, starvin_marvin, and I took a picture of my new, organized phone with this awesome background. Then she shared hers. I saw this orange application with a big "W" on it, and I was attracted to it since I love the color orange. I asked what it was and she said it is this cool thing called Wattpad. And there my story begins.

It's strange, but friends are what make people come into Wattpad. If you know this friend that seriously needs to practice reading, get him/her into Wattpad just for talking. Maybe they will begin to wander around Wattpad and begin reading, strengthening their spelling, grammar, and reading skills. Oh the miracles Wattpad can do..

Clubs

This is the area the Mobile users don't have access to.. yet. If you look under Community, you find this tab that says Clubs. This is the place many go when they have "downtime" or require something.

If you need anything, head here. Covers, writing help, or even a good chat, head here. If you need help or are interested in a specific genre, under categories there are areas for specific genres.

Safety

Not everyone you meet is who they are, though. When on Wattpad, or even the Internet in general, you must be wary of pretenders and predators.

A predator is someone who will slowly earn your trust until you feel comfortable enough with them that you begin giving personal information away. Most people that do this don't even realize they put themselves in potential danger.

If someone asks you where you live, specifically, know that's a red flag. If they invite you to meet you in person, that should be a huge red flag. If it's this meet-the-author type thing, it should be okay. Still, be cautious.

If someone is harassing you, block and report them.

Point is: be smart when being on the Internet. Be friendly but not outgoing.

And there we have it. I made this one short, since guide's aren't usually 4 pages long. A short announcement as well. Starting with this section and on, we will slowly be transitioning from the Reader's part to the Writer's part. In between the transition, the cover makers and critiques will have their own part, as this is everyone's guide to Wattpad. At the end of the transition I will make it quite clear that the readers no longer have to follow, unless they wish to someday become a writer.

For now, I wish you luck on making friends!