Chapter 47: Dead End

The zombie goo continues to ooze from the faucet, dripping into the sink. Bits of water finally come through the pipes, but that doesn't really water-down or wash the goo away rather than spread more of it around, carrying infection with it.

"Veronica, can you hear me? We've got a real problem!" Maxine shouts in alarm as we back away from the sink. I hear a chime from the speakers.

"Hello, I am Veronica Basic, a simple program designed by Veronica to answer queries while she is in diagnostic mode," A voice says from the computer. It has Veronica's voice, but sounds calm rather than inquisitive, as the real Veronica would be. The calmness reminds me far too much of A.N.N.I.E. "Diagnostic mode has been activated due to-A CRITICAL SYSTEMS FAILURE. Do you have any questions about the plant?"

The tall woman's teeth grind together. "For God's sake, tell her to come back from diagnostic mode. This is serious!"

"Veronica cannot come online now. My sensors have detected elevated stress levels in your voice. Please explain the crisis situation."

She looks ready to argue, but then sighs in defeat. I doubt arguing wouldn't do anything but lose us time anyway. "Alright. Fine. Five and I are in an employee kitchen in the sewage plant. Veronica melted a giant rat zombie with acid, and what's left of it is pouring out of the kitchen taps. Five, that goo is definitely alive."

"I can see that," I reply fearfully. The goo has formed itself into a plug to block the sink drain, causing the sink to overflow, getting infected water and goo all over the floor. I reach for the doorhandle and swing the door open, quickly getting out into the corridor that's only half there because of the acid damage. Maxine follows and shuts the door behind her, the hinges squealing loudly.

"Veronica, the corridor is badly damaged by acid, and there's a huge hole in the floor. Most of this corridor near Lab 43 three is gone-" She pauses with a gasp, and that's when I see it. On the other side of the hole is a puddle of liquified zombie. It's moving, pouring itself into an exposed tap that was hit by acid. "That must be how it got into the taps."

"Biohazard warning confirmed," Veronica Basic replies. "Initiating lockdown."

Red lights flash on the ceiling, and an alarm blares.

"No, wait!" I shout, but I know my words are futile.

"All exits have now been sealed."

I look down and let out a yipe, jumping back when I see goo starting to seep under the door of the corridor. We both quickly back away, but the goo starts curving towards us.

"I don't believe it!" Maxine gasps. "It's still chasing us."

"Suggestion: there is a furnished safe room in Lab 46. The room can be sealed and will be secure."

"Veronica-" She shakes her head as we start moving, "Whatever you are, can you contact Sam or Janine or-or anyone outside?"

"I'm sorry. Computer damage is too extensive to restore coms. I can activate a general distress beacon."

"Do that!" I yell, looking back at the goo that's still curving towards us. It's not especially fast, but it's still moving. That fact alone makes my stomach churn. "And while you do, we'll head for the safe room."

Maxine nods in agreement. "Lab 46 should be that way. We probably would have passed it earlier is we hadn't gone through the computer room. Come on, run!"

I follow Maxine's lead, constantly looking back over my shoulder at the goo that's slowly following us. The fact that not even this can stop it makes me wonder what can. A burn cube completely incinerates it into nothing, but I didn't bring a burn cube with me because we weren't planning on destroying this entre plant.