Chapter 73: Come Together

"So this is it," Sam breathes out shakily. "Huge horde of V-Types heading for Seaside base, where there are still thousands of civilians. It's all on us."

Jody lets out a nervous laugh. "Do or die. Now or never."

"Us against the world," Amelia says. "Exciting."

Sam sputters. "Amelia? How are you on our channel? I kicked you and Nicole out of the coms shack."

"I've taken the liberty of offering the various heads of settlement temporary safe haven at New Canton. We're very well provisioned and secure. We're having wonderful conversations about free trade, which will, of course, come to nothing if you don't manage to defeat that horde. So I'm going to advise you on our anti-zom tech."

Peter gives a small smile, and I'm surprised to see that it doesn't hold even a hint of bitterness. "It's nice to be on the same side, Amelia. I haven't forgotten that you were the one who looked after me when no one else would. So did Sage, of course. That's my trademark move. Being cared for by people who turn out to be just a little bit monstrous, like me."

My chest aches when he says that, and I bite my tongue to keep from screaming that he's anything but a monster. Instead I grab his wrist, just for a moment. He flinches slightly at my touch, but he doesn't look at me. He simply continues talking to Amelia.

"Still, I think you'll do that job well." He blinks, seeming surprised that he's actually saying that. "Really well, actually."

"No idea what you're talking about," She replies, which makes him snort. "So, what's the plan, gang?"

Janine crosses her arms, eyes narrowing in thought. "The V-Types are extremely intelligent, now there is a huge number of them. They are marching in orderly phalanxes."

"But every threat is also an opportunity, right?" Jody asks, and she gets a nod.

"Correct. They are behaving like an army. I know how to fight an army. If we present them with a threat, they must honor that threat."

Amelia hums in thought. "Threat. Threat. Let's see, what have I got in my bag of tricks? Oh! Brent's pigs! The ones that eat dead flesh. He's donated sty-fulls to the cause. They're to the west. Runner Five, if you release them, that should cause some confusion."

Janine nods. "Good. That will give us time to evacuate the civilians from Seaside. Go now, Five. Run!"

I not in obedience and take off, and I hear Peter yelling out to me.

"Be careful!"

"Always am!"

"Liar!"

I grin. "Just trust me!"

"I wish you'd stop saying that!"

"Fine then. Don't trust me!"

"Callista!" He groans in frustration.

I laugh stupidly and keep running, and there's a click as Sam switches to a private channel. "He's worried because he still thinks you're immortal, and that if you get bitten-"

"I know," I interrupt, all traces of silliness and laughter vanishing immediately.

There's a pause as I keep running, wind whipping my ponytail around, my steps pounding into the ground. I know what Sam's about to argue before he even says it.

"Do you think you should just tell him now, so he isn't worried?" He asks, and I sigh.

"Sam, we both know that now is one of the worst times to do that."