Chapter 62: Die Rise Part 1

"There's the entrance to Redwood Towers," Talyon says with an authoritative tone. "Runner Five, you have a ten kilometer run ahead of you. The governors' guards will be hunting you, but as the only person in New Oban without an implanted tracking device, you have a chance of evading them."

My eyebrows furrow. "I don't understand. I thought you were head of security and all that. Can't you tell them to stand down?"

"I may have influence over the marshals, but the governors have security that are loyal only to them. They won't listen to a word I say. I'm sorry, but you still will be in danger even though I've called off the marshals that were hunting you in the city." She glances upwards. "At the five kilometer mark, halfway up Redwood Towers, you will unlock the doors to the boardroom. Then you will make your escape back to the base of the tower. My marshals and I will be ready to arrest the Board of Governors as soon as you disable the security system."

I hum in discomfort. Something about this doesn't seem right. Maybe I just don't like the idea of going up so high when there's a chance these guardsmen might throw me out the window halfway up.

"And you'll find out where my daughter is, right?" Halima asks desperately. "She must be in that building."

"Once the Board of Governors has been dealt with, I will personally ensure the safety of your daughter, Miss Hassan. You have my word."

"Here's an idea," Nicole says. "After Five's dealt with that security system and you and your people are going after the governors, why not let Five look for Amala and the other children? She may be able to find them faster and get Amala back to her mother."

Talyon smiles, although it looks forced. "That's very kind for you to volunteer your runner to do such a task, but those guards will stop at nothing to keep her from getting in. Once she's gotten rid of the security system, they will shoot to kill. The longer she's in there after disabling the security system, the more danger she will be in. And I'd hate for something to happen to her when it could have been so easily avoidable."

"I think she's right," Sam says. "I can try to get access to some of the cams inside the building, but as of right now, I don't know any of what's going on in there. We have to keep Callista safe."

"As safe as she can be," Talyon agrees, grinning at me. "Time to make an entrance, Runner Five. When I detonate the charge, the Board security will be alerted, but it's the only way to get inside. Prepare yourself."

She holds her device and presses the button at the top of it. I duck down and look away from the door.

Beep. Beep.

Boom!

An alarm goes off as debris goes flying. The bent, broken metal of the doors is sent skidding across the street, nearly taking out a store window.

"Five, get into the tower! Go!" Sam yells, and I sprint inside the building, the alarm so loud it drowns out almost every thought I have.

I sprint up the stairs in the back, since taking the ones in the front would end up with me running right into the guards rushing to see what just happened. I'm sure they're already searching for any tracker that might show where the intruder is. As of right now, without that tracker, I'm invisible to them.

But that doesn't mean it will last.

I bound up the stairs, skipping steps when I can, trying not to trip like I did earlier today. My hands are still sore from the fall on the rooftop. I reach one of the higher floors, freezing when I hear footsteps from above.

They're taking this stairway.

Without thinking, I open the door leading to the floor I'm on and run through. I'll find another stairway, or I'll run and then come back this way. It's not safe or smart for me to stay here when these soldiers are so close. I'm just thankful I heard them over the alarm. Hopeful it was loud enough that they didn't hear the door shut behind me.