Chapter 15: Vanilla Twilight

I sigh, leaning into the warmth beside me, soft cotton brushing against my skin. My head rests on Sam's shoulder as one of my hands lay intertwined with his, only a blanket separating us from the cold, hard, dirt ground. We managed to convince Janine to let us have a movie night, and a surprising number of people showed up to watch one of the Tom and Jerry movies. I forget what it's actually called-the one where they race around the world, and the winner gets a mansion.

It's cute. Cartoonish violence with no real consequences for those that are on the receiving end of it make it easier to tolerate. That's why we decided on this movie, since other action or fast-paced films would have violence and pain and grief that lasts. We've seen enough pain in this lifetime. No need to have it be a part of our leisurely group activity too.

If people want to watch more violent or horrific movies, they can do so on their own time.

Besides, after this movie ends I'll have to break the news of what happened on my exchange run today. I still haven't said anything. In my defense, I haven't had the time!

I talked to Milo for a few minutes. It was mostly me talking, and him trying to find an excuse to head back to New Canton. I didn't want to be too close to Battenbury, so I didn't keep him for long. And he declined my invitation to come see the movie tonight, which hurt a bit more than I thought it would.

I called Sam on my headset on the way home. He had a slight waver in his voice when he asked me why I had taken so long. I suppose I could have told him then, but trying to explain all that while running and then having to hear his horrified responses without being there in front of him to assure him that I am, in fact, totally okay, would be a nightmare.

So I told him there were a few setbacks that stopped me and Milo from meeting up right away, but that we were both fine. I didn't want to ruin this for him when we so seldom get to have events that makes us all happy anymore.

That's why I'm here, sitting on a thin blanket that does nothing to keep the coolness of the ground from reaching my skin, sinking bone deep. The sun set not too long ago, and took with it any warmth that the light provided. It's a bit humid, but that just makes me uncomfortable and sticky rather than warm.

So, with a shiver I press myself closer to Sam, glancing up at him. The bit of light that casts on his face from the projector being so close makes him look almost angelic.

I pull my eyes away, not wanting to be caught staring, or drooling. I keep my head on his shoulder, relishing in the feeling on his hand in mine. A small laugh slips past his lips as he watches Tom's car go off a cliff because Jerry managed to outwit him once again. I smile, taking a glance at some of the others around.

Peter and Janine are sitting together. How he managed to convince her to attend the movie is beyond me, but she seems to be content, which is better than how she looks whenever Sam invites her to play Demons and Darkness with the group. Peter though... he seems like he's only partially there, partially happy, his laughter only half genuine and his mind only halfway watching the movie before him.

I can only wonder what's going on his head.

Tom and Jody are sitting together, which isn't surprising. Tom seems at ease. I'm glad to see him actually relaxing and enjoying the movie. Jody is knitting, ever so often glancing up at the screen before going back to her task at hand. She said she never was the biggest fan of cartoons, but she came because we worked so hard to get Janine to give us permission to have this, and if a good number of people show up, we may be able to do this again with a different movie. I appreciate her support.

Maxine and Paula are watching it with Sarah and Adora and Phineas. Since Phineas doesn't have Alejandro with him, he doesn't mind spending time with his sister. Adora is with Sarah because trying to keep the two away from each other when they've already seen each other is a nightmare and a half, mostly on Adora's part because she will scream her head off until she gets what she wants. In most cases, it's to hang around Sarah.