Chapter 16: Blood On The Dancefloor

"Mr. Lynne, Runner Five, there you are. At last."

I don't miss Janine's little huff, nor the passive aggressive tone she has. With an annoyed look I rub my eyes, sleep still clinging to me like dead weight. The air outside is pleasantly cool, but after being snug and warm under the covers with Sam, it feels absolutely freezing, and it will probably stay that way until my body gets used to it.

Peter looks no better, with dark circles under his eyes. His expression is barely visible because of the darkness that surrounds us, devouring everything. I can only make out a tight-lipped smile sent Janine's way, and her gaze softens ever so slightly.

It's something only he can do.

"Peter, Callista, sorry to get you out of bed at this ungodly hour," Sam apologizes, and I'm sure he's hating this just as much as we are. "It's that Love and Peace Conference Jody found out about."

"By found out about, you mean read about on a flyer she got from a bloke she met on a run?" Peter asks, and I look at him in confusion.

"What are you guys talking about?"

"No one told you? Huh," Sam hums. "About a week ago, Jody got a flyer from someone about a peace conference being held in that old storage place by the lake in the woods. They must be expecting a lot of people. And with what happened with your little adventure a few days ago with Amelia, I think going to a peace conference would be a pretty good idea, don't you?"

"Oh," I blurt out dumbly, still slightly dazed from lack of sleep. "Uh, yeah, yeah. Totally-"

Janine cuts off my ramblings, her face stony and serious as always. "I've made inquiries. It appears multiple local settlements are sending delegates."

"Which is pretty impressive," Sam says. "Well, with the way people have been hunkering down lately, it's hard to get anyone together. No one seems to trust anyone. Sigrid's misinformation is still doing its job."

And it probably will for a long time, I mentally add. I mean, Sigrid was exposed as a liar, but because she sprinkled half-truths and twisted some sincerity into her words, people can't tell truth from lie. And she's only been dead nine and a half weeks. We can't hope for everyone to forget her reign immediately, or the lies woven within it.

"Not like back after Z-Day," Peter comments, pulling me from my thoughts. "We need a bit more of that old blitz/zombie spirit, if you ask me."

Janine nods, and Peter's eyes brighten. "Precisely. This is an opportunity we can't miss. We are on a hearts and minds mission, runners. The country needs unity, and a combined effort to defeat the Last Riders. Today, we begin to forge that unity. So, I suggest we run."

"Raise the gates!"

The alarm goes off as the gates raise, and I cringe at the sound. It's much too loud for that right now, and I'm sure everyone sleeping in the dorms nearest to the gates agree. That's why we leave quickly, so the alarms can stop and the gates can close and we can get this hearts and minds mission over with.

I do wish I knew what this was beforehand. I would have put more effort into my appearance. I can't exactly not wear my uniform, and wearing makeup while running is pointless since I'll end up sweating it off, but I at least could have brushed my hair a bit more, and put it in something other than a plain ponytail.

Oh well. I suppose I just won't look all that great. Although if Jody found out about this through a flyer, I doubt there will be a strict dress code. Also, why is it so damn early in the morning? No one wants to talk about peace then. The sun hasn't even risen! And it won't for another few hours!