Chapter 4:

Billy Black was on his porch looking at Sam who was with his usual stern face sitting across from him. 

He said he was going to wait one month before telling Sam but then time flew by and he never got the chance to speak to him privately.

Jacob was out with his friends and wasn't going to be back for a while so this was a perfect opportunity to speak with Sam. 

Only now that he was in front of him he couldn't figure out how to tell him.

"You called me here to talk but all we've been doing is sitting in silence." Says Sam.

"I know I'm just trying to find the right words." Says Billy.

"What is this about?"

"You've met Ava, Charlie's daughter?" He asks and Sam's eyes soften at the mention of her name.

"Yes, why?"

"You are fond of her?"

"Not in that way." He says quickly and Billy smiles.

"Yes I know."

"Is that all you wanted to know?" Says Sam getting a little impatient.

"Sam what I'm about to tell you is going to be hard to believe." He says and Sam frowns.

"What is it?"

"Maisie." He says and Sam is shocked. He hadn't heard that name in a long time.

"What about her?" He asks his voice a bit harsh.

"When your father, Joshua, left all those years ago he took her. He got married to another woman and they both raised Maisie as their own. I recently learned that they were in a car accident, they didn't make it, and so she was put up for adoption. A nice couple with a daughter of their own adopted her and she's been with them ever since." He says and Sam grows agitated.

"You know where she is? Tell me." He demands but Billy raises his hand at him to tell Sam to slow down.

"I know you and your mother have been looking for her and never have been able to find her. That's because when Joshua left he changed her name." Billy pauses before clearing his throat.

"He changed it to Ava." He says and Sam feels like the air has been knocked out of him. 

She was so close to him the whole time, she was in arms reach and he never knew it.

"Swan, Ava Swan. She, she's Maisie?" He says as he stands up and runs his hands through his hair.

"Sam listen to me, she isn't Maisie anymore. She's Ava Swan, and you have to remember that." He says and Sam nods.

"I have to go see her."

"Sam you can't just go to her."

"Why the hell not!" He yells and Billy sighs before answering him.

"You've only met her a couple of times, but I'm sure you've noticed how different she is. She thinks family is everything and she idolized her father, what do you think will happen when she finds out that her father left his family and took her?" He says and Sam calms down.

"Then what am I supposed to do, nothing?" He asks trying to keep his voice from cracking.

"For now yes, we need to find out how to tell her the right way, okay?" He asks and Sam nods his head before sitting back down with his face in his hands.