Realize (33)

Karl badly wanted to tell Jen how he truly felt for her.

The next morning, after Todd’s birthday, he was dying to tell her. He finally got the courage to do so. But he first told the other boys about his plan in the living room, while the girls were out.

Brian and Todd encouraged Karl. But Peter had a different idea.

“I don’t think you should tell her yet,” said Peter firmly.

“Why?” cried Karl. He wanted to tell her at last, and now his best friend was stopping him. Why? What could be in the way now?

“I think we should find out what she feels for you first,” his best friend suggested. “In that way, you won’t be scared of ruining your friendship with her.”

“You know,” Brian piped in slowly, “I think Pete has a point, Karl.”

Karl looked thoughtful for a few minutes.

Well, he certainly didn't want to ruin his friendship with her. That would be such a waste, wouldn't it? It wasn't all the time that Jen was friends with a guy this closely. He didn't want to destroy what he built.

So he started nodding, liking the idea. Then, he smiled.

“Okay,” he agreed. “What should we do? How are we gonna find out?”

“We should just ask her,” shrugged Brian. He thought that it was easiest and simplest way.

“Right,” snorted Peter. “As if she would tell us the truth.”

“Well, what other way is there?”

“We could ask Maxine or Kim to ask Jen what she feels about me?” suggested Karl, unsure if his plan was good. “After all, Maxine’s close to Jen. And Kim’s good at this stuff, right?”

“That’s not a bad idea,” nodded Brian.

“I don’t think Maxine will be stupid enough to spill a secret like that,” said Todd indifferently. “And I’m sure that Kim won’t tell us anything.”

Peter stayed quiet, thinking thoroughly about it. And then, it was as though a light bulb suddenly turned on above his head.

“I got it!” he exclaimed, an evil grin stretching across his face.

“What?” asked Karl and Brian at the same time.

Peter cleared his throat. “I’ll pretend to be a fortune-teller and tell her stuff about love. Then, I’ll ask her for a name that’s very special in her heart. That’s it.” He said it confidently, thinking that his plan was a very brilliant idea.

Karl, Brian, and Todd stared at Peter incredulously.

Todd recovered first.

“That’s the stupidest plan I’ve ever heard,” he commented harshly.

“What’s so stupid about it?” demanded Peter hurtfully.

“First of all, I’ve never seen a male fortune-teller. Second, I don’t think it’ll be that easy to fool Jen. And lastly, how are you going to disguise yourself as a fortune-teller?”

Peter pouted and frowned. “I’m not stupid, you know. Before I suggested that plan, of course I’ve thought about all of that. And I’ve got it all worked out. For my disguise, I’ll dress myself as a girl. As for making it believable, I’m as almost as good as Kim in the love stuff, remember? So what else is wrong with my plan?”

“You,” Todd replied at once.

“Me?” asked Peter, completely confused.

“Yeah, you.” Todd breathed deeply and continued, “The problem is — do you have to be the fortune-teller? I mean, we could always pay someone to play the role as the fortune-teller. It doesn’t necessarily have to be you.”