Realize (16)

Sorry for updating late. The last week had been the start of school so I haven't had any time to log on to Wattpad. So to make up, this is a rather long chapter of Realize. Hope you enjoy. :)

_________________________________________

Todd woke up in his room with a smiling face, late in the afternoon. He quickly washed up and went to the kitchen.

“Mom, if you were at my age, where do you want to go?” he asked, sitting by the counter. “Where do you think is the place that's perfect here in the city?” he added, as he bit the toast in front of him.

Janice took a moment to think, and then she grinned. “It would be nice to see the whole city at night — from the sky.”

Todd thought about it. Then, he swallowed.

“All right!” he said. “Thanks, Mom.”

He went to his bedroom and dressed up. He picked up his cell phone and dialed.

It rang…

“What's up?” answered a deep voice from the other line.

“Hey, it's Todd. How are you?” asked Todd politely.

“Todd! What a surprise! Well, I'm still the same. What can I do for you?” asked the deep voice kindly.

“I need a favor. See, I'm planning to go there with someone tonight. Is it all right if I come?”

“Hmm . . . I guess I can make an exception,” said the deep voice. He sounded like he was smiling.

“Thank you.”

“My pleasure, young man. See you.”

There was a click from the other line, and the call ended.

It was already dark when Todd finished making himself ready. Once again, he looked at himself in the mirror. He wore jeans and a beige Irish knit sweater.

“Good enough,” he nodded, before finally leaving. “I'm going out, Mom. See you later,” he called loudly enough for his Mom to hear him from wherever she was.

He closed the door, walked several steps down the hallway, and rang the doorbell on Room 40, the condo unit of the Fergusons. He waited for a while before the door opened.

It was Maxine. She must have just come out of the bathroom because her hair was still in tangles. She wore a T-shirt and pajamas. Oddly, there was a spoon in her mouth.

She seemed surprised, clearly not expecting Todd to show up in the night. Todd quickly looked away and audibly cleared his throat. Maxine looked down and pulled the spoon out of her mouth.

“Um . . . What is it?” she asked.

“I was harsh to you the other day,” he started. “I thought maybe you could come with me to some place nice.” He looked at her, waiting for her reply.

“Why?” asked Maxine suspiciously, raising an eyebrow. She looked at him, trying to read what he was thinking.

“Think of it as a peace offering,” he shrugged.

She stared at him, thinking . . .

“Fine.”

Todd's head shot up in slight surprise. He sighed in relief, but he quickly composed his expression.

She let him in the living room. The TV was on; it looked like she was watching a movie while eating ice cream.

Minutes later, she came out wearing long sleeves and jeans. For moment, Todd thought she looked pretty. But he immediately pushed the thought away. He didn't want to make anything out of it.