Realize (48)

Todd, Brian, Karl, and Peter were sitting on the sofa.

Maxine went to the vending machine at the entrance hall. Todd insisted on going with her but she disagreed. Fifteen seconds after she left, he made Karl follow her. Karl didn’t object, since he was also thirsty.

Todd wasn't being overly protective — he wasn't usually like this with Maxine. However, they were in the enemy’s territory. Letting her alone was the last thing he wanted to do.

The only reason he wasn’t there when Dominique Harris had the chance to talk to Maxine was because Headmaster Sky was talking to him and Brian. It was rude to walk out on the Headmaster when he was having his speech. Luckily, Mr. Cortez from the Vlad Institute faculty wanted to have a discussion with the Headmaster.

Todd was certain that he wouldn't allow Dominique Harris near Maxine again. Obviously, Harris brainwashed Maxine into thinking that he was sweet.

Todd scowled and bared his white teeth. Furious wasn’t even the right word for what he was feeling for that insolent guy. He really wanted to obliterate Dominique Harris.

What else could have Harris said to Maxine?

Peter interrupted his thoughts.

“Max is rare, huh?” he said, his eyes looking far away and then resting on Todd.

“Of course, she is,” replied Todd, somewhat annoyed that Peter just realized that fact.

Peter stared at Todd but he looked like he was absorbed on something else. Todd rolled his eyes at his friend. He was used to it.

“What do you want to say, Pete?” asked Todd in a bored voice.

“Well . . .” Peter trailed off, thinking of ways on how to explain what was on his mind. “Max isn't like those others girls I’ve met. Mind you, I’ve met tons of different girls already. And surprisingly, I’ve never met someone as believed as Max.”

“Explain,” ordered Todd, not bored anymore.

“I mean, she’s not like most of the girls that always have their doubts.”

“Doubts. Doubts on what?”

Brian looked at Peter, listening.

“Doubts on how you feel for her. Dude, look at you!” Peter gestured on Todd’s appearance. He added admiringly, “You’re handsome, clever, charming, talented, athletic, muscular —”

“Ugh,” Brian piped in, looking disgusted. “Stop talking like a girl, Pete. It’s creepy.”

Peter shook his head and ignored Brian.

“My point is if I was Max, and you’re my first boyfriend ever, I wouldn’t be sure if you’re that serious about me. It’ll be too good to be true. It’s like Prince Charming asking Cinderella out. Meaning, it’s like a fairy tale that doesn’t fit in reality.” He paused for a moment, and then went on. “But that’s what surprises me. She doesn’t think that way. Maybe she really thinks that these things happen. Although, knowing Max, I’d say she thinks that this is all like a dream or something. And that just makes it all confusing. So I’m gonna stop now.”

Todd was in deep thought about everything that Peter said. It was far-fetched. But then again, this was Peter. He wouldn't be a ladies man if he didn't know anything about girls.

“What do you think?” he asked Peter.

“What do I think about what?”

Todd rubbed his face. “Do you think that she truly believes all this is a dream, that she doubts in believing that this is real?”