Realize (19)

Todd and Maxine didn't talk to each other the next day. As soon as they got to school, they quickly went to their separate ways. For Maxine, it felt like it was the first day of school again. Todd, on the other hand, was declared 'Mr. Irresistible of the Year' that morning – much to his annoyance.

Coward Chris was waiting for Maxine when she arrived at her locker that morning. The moment he saw her, he automatically grinned. Unfortunately, Maxine wasn't in the mood to smile. Trying to be nice, she forced herself anyway.

“G — Good morning!” he exclaimed.

“Good morning,” said Maxine glumly.

Despite her obvious glum expression, Coward Chris didn't notice anything.

Throughout the morning, they shared stories together. Sometimes, Maxine felt awkward whenever students passed by them because of their bewildered stares. It was as though they were trying to figure out what was happening just by looking intently at Maxine and her new companion.

Only their class schedule ruined their conversations. But every break that day, they were together.

In class, Maxine would feel like the seat next to her was unoccupied. Todd and her didn't speak. They didn't even look at each other. They just kept their eyes straight ahead, without glancing even the tiniest bit sidewards.

They simply ignored each other's existence.

When the bell rang, signaling for lunch,Todd went to the Sky studio – not bothering to have lunch. While Maxine didn't feel like talking to the gang because they would no doubt bombard her with questions about why Todd and her weren't speaking. And so, she decided to have lunch with Coward Chris instead.

“How come we're the only ones here?” complained Kim, looking around their usual table where only she, Brian, and Karl were sitting.

“Maybe because we're not mad at each other?” suggested Karl.

“Something's going on between those two again,” sighed Brian, thinking of Todd and Maxine. “We know Peter's with someone, somewhere. But those two . . .” he trailed off, and then he remembered something he heard. “Hey, did you hear that Maxine's spending a lot of time with Christopher Smith?”

“What?” gasped Karl, his eyes widened with horror.

“Oh, yes,” said Kim seriously. “I'm not sure if I should be happy about it. Coward Chris is too mysterious for me to know what his intentions are.”

The aura around the table turned stern. Kim and Brian were dead serious about what was going on, while Karl's mouth fell open and he turned into a statue. They ignored Karl – he was always like that when in shock.

“I wonder what's going on.” Kim bit her lip, frowning thoughtfully.

“Hopefully, it's nothing bad,” said Brian. It was strange, but he didn't feel at all relaxed about the near future.

Maxine walked down the hallway with Coward Chris a few minutes after the Dismissal bell rang. He wasn't aware that he was starting to get on Kim's nerves because Maxine was spending so much time with Coward Chris that there was nothing left with the gang.

“Maxine!”

Maxine stopped walking, making Coward Chris quiet. She tilted her head, wondering if she imagined someone calling after her name.

“Maxine!”

Before she could do anything, Peter was in front of her.

“Damn, babe,” panted Peter, his knees gave up and he fell on his butt. He didn't seem to care, though. His main focus was catching his breath. His eyes turned to Maxine, and a frown formed on his face. “Youalksowast!” he said, barely saying the words.