Realize (14)

Here's the 14th chappie!!

WARNING: Something BIG will be revealed. Brace yourself.

_________________________________________

 “I am really sorry to do this,” Maxine said quietly. She took a deep breath and continued, “But I'm –”

“Nice game!” interrupted Martin. He patted Josh on the back as he passed by.

Josh nodded. Turning to Maxine, he said, “You were saying?”

There were no interruptions now.

“Josh, I –” Maxine paused, shaking her head. She looked downward for a moment before turning her eyes back to Josh. She could see his forehead creased in worry. “You're so nice and sweet to me,” she murmured. “I really appreciate everything you've done. You . . . You're determined not to give up on me . . . But it's –”

“It's not enough,” he mumbled.

“No!” she protested. “How can you say that? It's enough – It's more than enough. I mean, giving your best . . . taking things slow . . . for me? It's more than anything I could ask from someone. But it's just that . . . I'm not asking for any of those things. I don't want you to change yourself because of me. I want to be your friend, but nothing more . . . I – I'm sorry,” she added quietly, looking away.

Minutes passed. They stood in silence at the empty corridor. Josh held Maxine's chin and gently pulled it up so she could look into his eyes.

“But I liked myself much better when I've changed because of you,” he whispered softly.

Maxine felt her eyes get watery, but she held the tears back.

“Nevertheless, I respect your decision,” said Josh, putting down his hand. He tried to smile. But it ended up weak. “Let's have fun being friends, shall we?”

She couldn't return the smile. If truth be told, she liked Josh. But not in the way he wanted. She felt even guiltier seeing him very sad about it. Well, of course he was sad. He was just dumped for the millionth time – but for real this time around.

Josh rummaged his sports bag and pulled out a heart shaped chocolate box. He gave it to Maxine. She stared at it blankly.

“That's my gift for you,” he explained. “Have a nice Thanksgiving.”

With that, he walked the opposite way, leaving her all alone to think whether what she did was the right.

It was late in the afternoon on Thanksgiving day.

Maxine couldn't stop thinking about the way Todd and Josh looked at her the day before. She was not herself and without meaning to, she ate the whole box of chocolates that Josh gave her.

An hour later, she was in the living room with Alex watching Spongebob Squarepants.

“Get dressed kids,” Natalie told them, entering the living room. “We've been invited for a dinner with the Samuels.”

Maxine laughed out loud. “Are you kidding? That's greaaaaat!” She stood up and twirled around the room.

Natalie and Alex stared at Maxine.

“What is happening to you?” demanded Natalie, with a very concerned look.

“I saw her eat a bunch of chocolates, Mom,” said Alex.

“Maxine!” flushed Natalie. “You know you get high whenever you eat sweets!” She sighed and massaged her temples. “I'm going to make you a strong coffee. Go to your room and rest.”