Chapter 13

GENS POV

I woke up when the sun started to shine in my face. I was the second one up, after chubs. He was looking at me.

"I heard you started a fire last night?" He asked me. I felt embarrassed and I didn't know why. I looked away and he spoke again. "No no I didn't mean it like I was mad or ashamed, don't be embarrassed, I'm proud of you, I just heard you guys last night cheering about it, thats all." He said.

I turned to face him. "Yeah, I did it with control this time, I wasn't upset, and I've never done it like that, it was cool." I said. He nodded his head and continued reading a book. I didn't know the name nor did I care to ask.

"Why didn't you snuggle with them like you normally do?" He asked, this time putting away his book. I shrugged.

"Idk, part of me is scared I'll hurt you guys. Even when you guys trust me, I don't trust myself. I just want to protect them. You." I said and He looked at me. Studying me.

"You won't hurt us, and don't say that you will, you can't give into that fear, or else it will control you." He said, I looked away and started to pack things up. First the necessary stuff then I grabbed anything extra that we would want.

I grabbed tents and attached them to our bags, I put in clothes, flashlights, batteries, food, water, etc. when their was left over space I added in little special touches. Zu's drawing, her homework, chubs books, Liams CD's and stuff like that.

Liam woke up when he felt us moving in the van. And zu woke up when he started to move. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you guys up." I said.

"Yeah sorry, we are just trying to get the van packed up." Chubs added. Liam just groaned. "It's ok....we have to leave someday anyways."

Once it was all packed zu put flowers on the hood of the van and we started walking. We walked for a good while.

After a few hours we stopped and had our lunch. We ate what we would have had for breakfast and then also ate lunch. We were starving.

I went to give zu some of my food but Liam pulled my hand back. He whispered in my ear. "Dont! She has her food, you need yours! If you give it to her I won't talk to you." He said

I frowned and turned away from him. I ate the rest of my food and for once felt full. I realized then. If I was full, zu had to have been also. That's why Liam was stopping me.

Me and Liam walked behind zu and chubs for the most part. We held hands as we walked. Zu got tired after a while and chubs carried her on his back.

He looked so tired so we all switched out on carrying her on our backs. We were getting close to a highway and we could hear cars passing by.

Liam led us deeper into the woods. It was too risky being near a highway. If PSF's or skip tracers needed to stop and use the restroom they would find us. It was scary, not knowing if we would run into them or not.

We walked for hours upon hours.
—————————-

3 days later

It was nightfall and it was my turn to watch. Chubs was out with me. Liam and Zu were asleep in our tent setup. Me and chubs were being quiet, most of the time not even speaking.

"What if we are going in the wrong direction? What if we don't find it. It's been three days on the road, and still no sign of it. We have to be lost or something chubs!" I said to him

He didn't look at me. He was fidgeting with his hands. "You think I haven't noticed? Of course I have ok?! I'm just as tired of walking non stop everyday as you are!" He said.