50

A/N: My apologies for not posting on Saturday! I've been a bit busy recently and lost track of time. We're getting close to the end of this book. Hope you enjoy this chapter!

"She's not answering," I sighed as I ended the voicemail. I was worried that she was on her way to doing something really stupid and dangerous. I didn't want the body guards that guarded the house shooting after her like they were trained to do if anyone were to ever attack..

Nick sighed, "Aight, I'll tell my guards to stand down so no one fires at her if she shows up."

I shook my head, "She'd use that as a way in. She'd probably kill your guards and then march in here to kill you."

"So we bring all the guards inside," Rico suggested.

"She'll know something is up and turn back," I shook my head.

"So what do we do then?" Nathan questioned right before my phone rang.

I quickly answered and out the phone on speaker.

"Damien," Mother answered.

"Yeah?" I replied.

"I'm assuming you told Carter everything," she stated.

I nodded, "I did."

"Let me guess, he tried to kill you, and now you need to hide out where I am?" she asked.

"Actually, no. He understands. He wasn't the one who put out the hit on Dad, and he's willing to help us find out whoever did," I answered. "Seeing the photo of the tattoo would be very helpful."

She huffed before asking, "What good would the tattoo be? We know what group of people the tattoo belongs to."

Carter intervened saying, "When I took over Et Reprobi, I had special codes encrypted in the tattoos of all the members. The codes function like serial numbers, each being specific to one individual. It helps with the transaction process and in keeping record of who does what. When I see the photo, I'll know who to call in."

"And why should I trust you?" Mother questioned.

"You don't have to. Trust your son," Carter answered. "My guards won't attack you. You're free to enter my house so that we can all find and punish the person responsible for your husband's death."

"Don't do anything stupid, Diane," Rico warned. "We're just trynna help."

"I'll be there in an hour," she said before hanging the phone up.

I sighed, walked over to Sagacity, and took a seat beside her. I then rest my head on her shoulder but she shrugged it off. "Just because my dad forgave you doesn't mean I did. You've been lying to me for how many months now? Not to mention the fact that you used me to get to my father!"

"It wasn't like that," I shook my head, and everyone cleared the living room to give City and me space to argue in private. "I didn't want you involved in-"

"When  I told you to speak with my father and offer to work at his company, did that aid you in your big plan to take him down?" she asked while staring directly into my eyes.

I looked away and sighed before nodding. I then tried to explain, "I didn't do it because of that though, I-"

"Did it to make me happy?" she asked sarcastically, and I nodded. "You got some nerves!"

"City, I-" I got out before she cut me off again.

"Was any of it real? Proposing? Aurora?" she asked.

I nodded, "Of course it was. It still is."

"The fact that you were comfortable trying to tear my father down, comfortable living a double life, comfortable lying and keeping secrets from me...I just can't trust you, Damien," she sighed as she covered her face with her hands. "How do I even know if you're lying now? You could've been living a double life since the moment you entered my life!"

"I haven't been, I swear," I promised. "It was only after I got kidnapped that I started this 'double life'. I never enjoyed or felt comfortable lying to you or keeping secrets from you. It took a bad toll in our relationship to the point where you thought I was cheating on you. I beat myself up about it every time, and when I came partially clean, I did it because it broke my heart seeing you so unhappy and insecure."

I wrapped my arms around her, but she tried to shrug them off. Still, I held her in my arms and brought her body much closer to mine.

"I'm still the same guy you said yes to," I promised. "I never lied about being in love with you, and Aurora definitely isn't a product of any of this. I love you so much, City. My love for you was never fake, and it won't ever be." I pried her hands from her face and smooched her cheeks, but she didn't respond. I knew it would take a while before she'd give in. She was angry at me, and she had all rights to be. I was just happy that she wasn't calling off the proposal or yelling harsh words at me.

I thought I was going to lose her, but it seemed as if I still had a chance of happiness. I wasn't planning on letting that chance go.