55

I sat at the edge of the bed beside Sagacity, and she slightly shifted her body away from me, causing me to sigh.

Everyone was spending the night at Carter's mansion so that we could stay atop of the case and prevent any unforeseen attacks. According to Ryan, Josephine went off the grid around the same time my father and Detective Miles were murdered. We studied the video footage for any information that could possibly help track her down, but we found nothing. We did know, however that the same night my father received the card from Josephine, he had a small encounter with Miles. Unless Ryan could provide us with information, we were stuck once again, and everyone was beginning to feel exhausted.

I, however, didn't want to rest until I fixed things with Sagacity or at least talked to her about where we stood. I understood that I hurt her one too many times, and as much as I didn't want this idea to happen, I expected that she'd call off our engagement.

"City, I-" I got out before she cut me off.

"I understand why you did it," she said, surprising me. I had expected her to still be angry at me and to deny me a chance to explain myself.

"Y-you do?" I frowned, completely shocked.

She nodded, "Yes, Damien. I wish you hadn't gone through any of that. I honestly can't imagine growing up without my dad, and I understand wanting to avenge your father's death. Your father meant so much to you, and to have him stolen from you was unfair and cruel."

I inhaled a breath and admitted, "I'm sensing a but."

Sagacity nodded, "But you manipulated me into believing every lie you've ever told. You indirectly used me as a pawn and violated our trust. I know that you care about me. I know that you have feelings for me. What you did isn't okay though. That wasn't fair to me. That was cruel to me. Neither my family or I deserved that. You played a wolf in sheepskin, and it's hard for me to look past how well you deceived us all. That's what scares me, Damien. That's what I'm angry about the most."

I nodded, accepting all that she had to say.

I admitted, "You're right about everything that you've said. I can't change what I did. I can't change how much I hurt you and everyone in your family. I'm sorry, Sagacity. I really am. If I had known certain things beforehand, I wouldn't have made the same mistakes. My lack of knowledge doesn't justify what I did, though. I...I understand if you wanna call off the engagement."

She looked down at the ring on her finger and a few tear drops escaped her eyes. I reached to wipe them, but she shifted away from me once again.

"I just wish things could be right between us. Every time you propose, I lose you after," she sniffled.

"I'm sorry," I apologized as I watched her break down even more. There was a pang in my chest as I stared at her.

Fiore. I took a beautiful flower and crushed all of its petals.

Not being able to bare the sight of her being so broken, I stood from the bed and walked to the door before hitting the lights.

"You should get some sleep," I suggested as I turned my back to her and Aurora and left the room. I then went into the now empty living room and spread out on one of the long sofas. Despite how comfy the sofa was, I knew I wouldn't be getting much sleep tonight. All I could think about was the sight of Sagacity being so hurt by what I had done. I had made her a promise that the next time she'd cry, it would be from being happy. I broke that promise. I even broke her heart, and that was the last thing I had ever wanted to do.

Whatever consequences I had to face was well deserved. I didn't deserve Sagacity, and she didn't deserve my ill treatment. If she wanted nothing to do with me, I would have to accept that, despite how hard letting her go would be.

I had made my bed, and I alone would lay in it.