Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I run a hand over my face and try to calm the anxiety that begs to explode from my chest. There's so much to take in. I want to meet this pack but after my encounter with the Wolves from last night, I'm far more hesitant. If they were anything to go by, they don't welcome outsiders.

How have they managed to live in my forest for so long without being found?

I look around and startle with the familiarity of the surrounding landscape. The tall conifers and lack of streetlamps or civilization. The concrete road turning into gravel and dirt. I can almost smell the fresh scent of the wilderness or feel the ground beneath the pads of my feet as I bound forward.

Staring out the window, I realize that the clenching in my stomach is not out of fear. It's a yearning to be outside in the fresh air; a longing to be out here in the expansive land that went on for miles. Freedom.

Freedom.

"Don't go jumping out of the car just yet, little wolf," Adrian interrupts my thoughts. I glance down at my hand that's wrapped firmly around the door handle. "I don't think even we can survive a jump at sixty miles per hour."

"What are you talking about? We?" I ask, "I don't understand why you're taking me here. I've never been here before!"

"You can't fool me, little wolf. I know that look on any Wolf coming home."

"I'm not—"

"You're not human. So unless you tell me you're a unicorn..."

"Jace has never taken me to meet his...family," I put emphasis on it, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other. I face forward, my heart jumping into my throat, "They're not going to know who I am."

Still, he says nothing. Only stares out the window with his green gaze scrunches up like he's deep in thought.

"We're here...okay, fine. We'll park in the undergrowth," Kiana says, casting an exasperated look to Mac. It takes me a moment to realize that she's on the phone again and has spoken to whoever it is on the other end of the line. After she hangs up, she mutters, "Don't do us any favors—it's not like we're saving you from a conflict with Palus."

"It's tough being the middleman," Mac's lips twitch up in a wry smile. "Mira's trying to minimize the embarrassment this'll bring her. Tough shit."

The car turns down into the forest and pull off to the side of an overgrown glade. Several men stand in the middle, foreboding and watching us like hawks. Mac parks and switches off the engine. Adrian climbs out but I remain where I am.

None of them are recognizable. How am I going to convince them that I know them or come in peace if Rachel or Jace or Young-Jae aren't there? Hell, I'd even taken Detective Abel at this point.

"Amelia," Kiana's voice has me jumping. She stares at me quietly, concern etches into her features, "You need to get out."

"Please..." I whisper, looking out at the Wolves. "Just take me home."

"This is your home, you stupid pup," Mac grumble. He climbs out of the car and opens my door. Ignoring my protests, he grabs me from the car.

"Mac—be careful," Kiana says in a hushed voice.

He lets me go but stands close enough to let me know that there's no point in running. He herds me away from the car and towards Adrian's side. I'm so frightened that I can barely breathe. The Breccian Wolves all growl as I walk closer towards them, heads tilting as they watch me cautiously.