A Gesture

"Ooo-eeeeeee!" sang Nephys, her pitch-perfect voice echoing up the wall, while the water swelled with the reverberations.

We waited expectantly. Nothing.

"Oh come on, Dad," Nephys sighed. "He's a bit paranoid at the moment with Ri being so pally with the Black Sea Brigade."

"With good reason," said Spirit. I looked over at him. He stood waiting with his arms crossed; his spear rooted in the sand.

The huge towering moss wall let out a creek, and I jumped. Now what in Nodens's name - in the words of Bright - is going on?

"He's letting us in," said Nephys cheerily, clapping her hands, "Ooh, I'm actually excited now we're here! I'm going to see my daddy... and my brother too!"

Hmm, that's funny, I've never heard Nephys mention a brother before. I was about to pry when the wall suddenly began to move right before my eyes. I pushed myself backwards through the water with my arms, and realized it was sliding open, omitting great huge groans as it went.

"Well, beats a doorbell," I joked. My three companions frowned, and I looked down embarrassed. Oh Crystal, what did you agree with yourself earlier about the human talk?

As it opened, so did my mouth. Behind the door was, what looked like a huge overgrown garden.

Long, light green seaweed waved at us, as it floated in the waters and layers of Ivy clung to the surrounding walls. There were sea flowers too. Beautiful big pink and orange ones which bobbed about amongst the weeds, and as my eyes feasted on the foliage, a little sea horse appeared before my eyes.

I gasped, I had never seen one in real life before.

"Oh yes, they're everywhere," said Nephys. "They love Evergreen, for some reason – it's not their normal environment, of course, they prefer the shallows."

I stared at the seahorse's little blue and white ridged body as it hovered in front of my nose, before raising a finger towards it. But the creature was in no mood for petting, and I laughed as it tilted backwards and away into the greenery. "Wow, what a gorgeous garden!" I cried, gaping again at my surroundings.

Suddenly there was a booming laugh, and I jumped.

"This is not a garden, girl. This is my meeting chamber," came a slow, deep voice.

"Father!" shrieked Nephys, shooting across the weeds.

I squinted. At first, I couldn't see him, only a mound of plants. But slowly, I realized that there was indeed a person sitting amongst the greenery.

We swam closer. He was just as overgrown as his 'meeting chamber'; his dark beard was long and laced with flowers, while his entire face and body was painted green. On his head sat a humongous wreath of seaweed and shells. It was literally the size of a bush and little fish swarmed around it.

I gazed at him in wonder. He was the picture of a mythological sea god.

Nephys was floating joyfully around the big mossy chair on which he sat. "Father, this is Crystal White," she said proudly.

"The famous Crystal," said the green god, looking at me with his dark eyes.

I laughed embarrassed. Famous? Me?

"I am Tairise, King of Evergreen, and this is my palace," he said in his deep tranquil voice. "I believe we have a lot to thank you for."

"Really?" I said uncertainly. I've certainly not heard that before.

"Did you not put a stop to the poison that was killing our plants, our children?" he asked.

SKANX. Of course.

"Oh, yeah, I guess that was my mum and dad, they found some evidence against them, which kind of shut down the whole company... but I did get kidnapped in the process, which is always fantastic..." I was babbling. Ugh, why do I have to be so inarticulate?

"Well, in that case, you are the most honorable guest I have had in many years," said Tairise. "May the lords of the wild water woods bless you during your stay here at Evergreen."

"Oh, thank you," I breathed. A blessing certainly wouldn't go amiss right now. And a little recognition was also rather nice for a change. I began to feel angry all over again about Ri and his disgusting behavior towards me. Me and my family had saved them! Tairise was right.

"But speaking of guests, I must tell you now, I am to host a ball here for the young couple from The Jewel," continued Tairise, leaning back in his chair. "I have to appear... gracious. I'm sorry Crystal, it might be a little odd for you, I know. But a gesture on my behalf is, unfortunately, necessary and long overdue."

I felt that unbearable burning sensation in my chest again. A ball. For Llyr and Kara. In Evergreen.

My blessing had quickly been replaced by a curse.