The Wreck Party

The next day, I finally got a taster of the hot springs of Evergreen. Nephys, Jasper, Bright and I had gone there first thing, as when we had woken up, we were informed that we still reeked of blood. I did not appear to possess a sense of smell underwater, but the other mers did, and the Eau de snake was allegedly rather pungent.

Tairise had suggested a good scolding in the springs to rid ourselves of the stench, as it would seem water alone had not done the trick.

The springs were located on the outskirts of the kingdom. Here, huge jets of hot water would suddenly power out from the Earth's core, and then there would be a ten-minute interval in between. During the ten minutes, we would hover around the area in eager anticipation. When we saw the bubbles, we knew it was coming, and we would prepare to dive into the impending blast.

The jets would then send us rocketing up towards the surface and, at one point, I actually popped up out of the water.

After an hour of frolicking about in the hot springs, we returned to the palace, where a less moody Spirit had told us about a shipwreck party that evening. Everyone had been keen to go, to seek news of any further developments from The Jewel.

I retired to my bedroom for a little siesta in the early evening, and as I curled up on my bed, I couldn't help but think how much I was coming to appreciate life here beneath the waves.

This was all very nice, or course, but at the same time it made me sad. I was actually here living in Llyr's world, only without him.

***

The shipwreck-party was way out somewhere in between Evergreen and The Jewel. We had started swimming around sun-down and reached the wreck a couple of hours later.

I was quite amazed by how far I had come along in the swimming department. My arms moved effortlessly through the sea, without so much as a little ache or pain.

It was becoming second nature - like walking - although up above, after a two-hour trek, I would normally be in no fit state to party. Strangely enough, here in the waters, my energy levels had increased with the exercise, and I felt on top form upon arrival.

I was excited at first to see the ship, which sat atop a mound of rocks. The ship itself was caked in barnacles and moss, but judging by its shape, it was a very old vessel, maybe even centuries so. My imagination was instantly activated; It was some English naval ship, hijacked by pirates and sunken in a long drawn out battle.

As we swam closer, I began to hear the sounds of string instruments and drums echoing in the waters.

We swam down onto the deck and then down again, into the belly of the ship. The passage was narrow, and I had to be really careful not to graze myself on the barnacles as I travelled.

Soon we arrived at a big open space where a ship full of merry mer were in the midst of a party. I felt the glare of everybody's eyes on me as we entered, followed by a collective gasp and whispering of my name.

I cringed, I really didn't think I would get used to that... and I hated to think what they were all saying about me: There's the 'landling'; coming down here after all these years to hunt down Llyr. She kinda missed the boat with that one... mwahaha...

"Don't worry," said Jasper as we passed, "They are just marveling at your beauty and nothing else."

I smiled gratefully, and I felt the tension ease a little within me. The maids had done a great job as usual, and I wore my trusty white oyster shells and pearl eyeshadow. My hair bloomed around my shoulders, but hours had been spent hours twisting, braiding and weaving shells into it.