A Friendly Face

I felt my nausea return, and I decided to retreat, floundering my way back down the passage before I let out a loud retch. I checked nervously behind me for any indications of discovery. Fortunately, there were no such signs.

Urgh, this adaption thing is just the worst! I had never felt so ill in my entire life. I continued to grope my way back through the cave heading back towards an uninviting slab of rock which I gathered must have been my bed. Goodness, is this dingy dive the mer-hospital or something? I really don't know how they make it to eight hundred if so.

I clutched my throat again. Oh it was a rotten illness, I felt sick, but yet, I had never actually vomited. I just wanted some kind of relief and wished that I could just throw up. But then, do I want to be swimming around in my own vomit? Because, Crystal, that's probably what will happen...

I tried to lie on the rock, but I kept slowly rising upwards, eventually finding myself face to face with the rough, bumpy ceiling. It was torturous. I felt like crying, but as soon as I got upset about my situation, I felt a pang of illness and would have to focus on getting through that instead.

In the back of my mind, I was also thinking of Llyr. Why didn't he come? Is he alright?

A troublesome thought sprang to mind. What if that Croctopus got to him before he got to me? And why is Spirit so secretive about everything? What is going on, and what is my role in all of this?

As usual, I was being kept in the dark. And in every sense, I thought bitterly, as I looked at my surroundings.

As all these thoughts stormed my mind, my body pressed further up against the bumpy roof of the cave, until I thought I would scream with the unpleasantness of it all.

I remained suffering like this until finally, after what seemed like a very long time, my body relaxed with fatigue and I felt myself sink slowly back down onto the rock.

***

When I resurfaced from my sleep, I realized that thankfully, I no longer felt sick. I felt a soothing hand on my face, and I slowly opened my eyes. It was bright; it must be morning.

"Oh, Crystal," said a voice. It was familiar, and it was female.

I looked up and gasped. Years may have passed, but I instantly recognized the beautiful, ethereal face that watched over me. It was Nephys.

"Oh, my gosh," I said sitting up and slowly encircling my arms around her. I still felt weak, and even the smallest movements were not easy.

"My sweet girl," she cried hugging me back.

When we eventually withdrew, I looked at her and smiled. She looked as lovely as I remembered her to be, with those long black eyelashes and rich dark locks. On the land, her hair had cascaded over her shoulders in long damp waves, but here, under the water, it floated around her head in a big chocolate cloud.

"What is going on?" I asked. These were the only words I had that morning.

Nephys looked me up and down and shook her head. "I don't know," she breathed. "I mean, how in the world of shimmering shells...?" She trailed off, her eyes resting on my lower half. She was at a loss, just like me, I realised.

I followed her gaze, flinching as I saw it again. My blue tail was now glittering beneath a beam of light. I looked up and saw the beam rippled through a hole in the cave ceiling. My eyes strayed south again; not having legs was really quite distressing.

"It's gorgeous, though," said Nephys quietly putting her hand on top of the crease of my tail – the spot where my knees would have been before.

I bent that part of my tail, as I would my knees, and inspected the top end up close. I stared wide-eyed at the neat rows of bright blue scales, and they beamed back at me, like sequins. I have... actual scales. I was a fish. Half fish.

"Thanks," I whispered eventually.

In truth, I had no idea what constituted a gorgeous tail and what didn't. My tail was a pretty color, I knew that much, and while it was slim, it had a slight curve, just like my human form.

I straightened it again and could just about see the end, fanning out into two triangular fins. The fringes of my fins were slightly reminiscent of flowers, with their long delicate rippled layers.

"How are you feeling?" asked Nephys.

"How do I even answer that?" I said, dazedly.

"I heard you were sick," she prompted.

"I feel better," I said, lying back down and looking up at her. "I'm still a bit... floppy, though."

"Get some rest, darling Crystal," said Nephys. "Spirit's here, and I will come back in a few hours, and we will take you up again."

"Don't leave me with him," I pleaded, rising up again on my elbows.

Nephys smiled, "you won't even know he's here," she said. "I will come back; I swear it."

"And Llyr?" I asked, looking up at her pleadingly. Please give me something, I willed silently.

"We'll talk later," said Nephys.

I knew it, I thought miserably.

"Don't worry, you are safe here, I promise you," she bent over and kissed my forehead before gliding towards the cave entrance, her white fins streaming out behind her like ostrich feathers.

I sighed. Okay, well, he's still alive, I thought, resting my head down again. She'd be more upset than that if he weren't.

I was lying on the rockjust fine now; I realised as I found myself alone. The fact I was no longer floating off like a space cadet had somethingto do with being relaxed. Nephys'spresence was always so very soothing, and pretty soon I was able to feel the heavy pull ofsleep.