My Biggest Wish

Some hours later we lay in my bed together. I rested my head on his now t-shirtless chest, and I could hear his heartbeat. His arms were wrapped tightly around me, and I felt so safe and happy, but at the same time, I was still stunned.

"I cannot believe this is actually happening," I said dreamily, looking up at him. "It's like everything I could ever ask for."

"Yes," said Lly, holding me even tighter, "I too feel like my biggest wish has been granted. I have you back, and we can actually be together."

I paused for a moment, "But Llyr, what if I can't get back to being a mer?"

"I will just kiss you a thousand times again," he replied.

I laughed but then I had another thought. "You know; I was really ill when I shifted. I had terrible adaption sickness."

He frowned, "I have never heard of this thing," he said.

"Well, I hadn't heard of a lot of stuff either, but anyway..." I grumbled.

He kissed the top of my head, "It will be okay, we will work it out. Maybe it will get less severe, whilst you adapt more to shifting."

I sighed, I couldn't believe I was going to actually be a mermaid, but even though the whole idea was a little crazy, I knew that I would do anything to be with him.

"Maybe," I said, twisting my body so I could kiss him on the lips.

Our kisses soon became deeper, and I moved on top of him. He ran his hands over my bare back, and I felt goosebumps all over my body.

Suddenly he stopped himself and sighed. "I have to save my energy," he said reluctantly.

I exhaled frustrated; I wanted more, but I understood. I definitely did not want a repeat of what had happened on the boat all those years ago, when he was trapped and unable to get back to the waters.

I collapsed wearily back onto his chest, and he stroked my hair. "Next time, I will take you somewhere where we can make love all day."

I smiled, it had always amused me when he said 'make love.'

"So, when is next time, anyway?" I asked, pulling the cover over us. It seemed to have slipped away.

"Whenever you want," he said.

"Tomorrow?" I asked.

"Yes, I will get you at sun-high," he said, tugging the cover away again.

I pulled it back over us again. "Why don't you like the cover?" I giggled.

"Is that what it is called?" he said frowning.

I nodded and giggled some more.

"Well, I don't need a cover, I have you," he said pulling me close to his chest.

"But then what will cover me?" I argued, moving the fabric back over us.

"Okay, I can see this is not negotiable..." he said, kissing me. "But it is a strange thing; I don't understand it."

"Look, if I can understand sleeping on rocks...and-and snake blood baths-" I began.

"Yes, I know," he sighed, smiling and rolling his eyes. "I should be able to cope with the cover."

I couldn't help but laugh as he said his new word.

I rested my head on his chest again and felt absolute contentment. After a while, I frowned again. There is something about being in a state of contentment that causes you to think of the things you need to worry about. And there was one thing left to worry about, one white elephant in this very happy room, that I needed to confront.

"Llyr?" I began.

"Mm?" he said.

"Have you seen Spirit since..?" I asked.

He was silent for a while, waiting for me to complete my sentence, but I was done with it.

"Yes, I have," he said. "Why, what do you want to know?"

"Is he... um, okay?" I asked. It was a hard subject to broach. I didn't want Llyr to think I had any deep feelings for him, but then I didn't want to seem heartless either. And I was genuinely worried; I would hate it if I had hurt him.

"Yes," said Llyr. "He's alright Crystal, he's the same as ever."

I nodded. "Okay," I croaked, not wanting to push it anymore.

"He came to me, actually, a couple of days after the ball, and he told me what happened. He said that you had asked him to kiss you because you were upset and you wanted to go home."

"It's true," I said quietly.

"Don't worry," said Llyr, hugging me tighter, "he understands. He said that. And he also said that he cares about you and he wants you to be happy. I was unsure if I should come and find you, I didn't know if you would want me to, but he convinced me that I must."

I felt a wave of emotion. He really is a good mer.

"I am grateful to him, more than anything," said Llyr. "And he helped us fend of the Timsahs too. He summoned the mountain mer, which together with Evergreen and The Jeweled Kingdom was enough to send them back to the Black Seas."

I bit my lip. I can't believe I nearly started a war.

"And that is not your fault either," said Llyr, picking up on my guilt. "Even Ri is quite thankful for this whole chain of events; he has truly seen sense about the union now, especially once he was informed about Eekore's interest in the Quintessence."

I shuddered at the mention of Eekore.

"They have gone Crystal," said Llyr.

"But what if they come back?" I said quietly. For some reason the vision from my dream flashed into my mind; myself, helpless and lacerated on the rocks by the lighthouse, while the sea was ablaze with fire. The Timsahs would still want that Quintessence, surely.

"They won't," he said.

But for the first time ever, I sensed doubt in his voice.