Meant To Be

The very next day, I sat on the white sands of Crystal Beach and looked around at my surroundings happily. It looked exactly the same as it had done all those years ago.

The purple, amethyst cliffs glistened under the afternoon sun, and the wavy sea was jade-green and inviting.

Llyr and I had spent the past hour walking along the beach, his arm around my shoulders. It was kind of weird; it almost felt like we were a normal couple taking a stroll.

He sat next to me now, and I looked at him and smiled. I don't think I had ever been so happy in my entire life. It felt almost like I was home, in our special place, our bubble of bliss away from the rest of the world.

Today I wore my cornflower blue dress that my mother had brought me that day when I first returned to Starfish. I had called her last night after Llyr had gone and announced that I was staying... for the foreseeable future. Naturally, she was over the moon, although she could not understand what on earth had changed my mind so drastically.

I still hadn't worked out how I could explain my mermance to them. If Llyr and I were truly going to be together, we were going to have to actually think about these things at some point...

"I will always be here for you Crystal," he said solemnly, tuning into my thoughts. "Whatever difficulties we have; we will face them together. I hope you know that."

"I do know," I said. "And I am always here for you too."

"I am such a lucky mer," he said, kissing me on the cheek.

"I'm a lucky mer too," I said giggling. "If you can call me a mer."

"Of course," said Llyr laughing. "You are a beautiful mermaid."

I felt myself blush. I was still a little insecure about myself in non-human form.

"I have a gift for you," he said suddenly, reaching into his pocket and retrieving something.

"A gift!" I squealed excitedly.

"It's from Ri, actually," he smiled, opening up my hand and putting a small hard object into it, and closing my fingers again around it.

I was dumbfounded. A gift from Ri? Well, I never...

I opened up my hand slowly. In my palm was the most beautiful purple ring. It was like it had been carved from one little gemstone and the top formed a chunky square. As I held it in my hand, I felt a strong energy swelling from within. It was really quite mystical.

I looked at Llyr, speechless.

"It was my mothers," he explained. "She was an incredible mer, but she did not have many supernatural powers for some reason. She was quite weak in that way, and so she wore this, to protect her. It strengthened what powers she did have, and gave her some other abilities that even we didn't have."

I nodded mutely. I still couldn't muster up any words. I felt overwhelmed that they would give something so precious to me.

"He thought it would help you when you return underwater," said Llyr, looking at me.

"Wow," I breathed finally, now holding the ring in my fingers and gazing at it. "I'm so touched."

Llyr took it from me and slid it onto my forefinger. It fitted perfectly, and it looked divine. I immediately felt something surge through my body, something strong and empowering.

"Thank you," I whispered, looking up at him.

"I can't wait until you come back to the kingdom with me," he said, taking my hand again and holding it in his.

I smiled. I too was excited about seeing all the other mer again, and now Ri appeared to be accepting me, maybe we could even get to know each other.

"I love you," I said, resting my head on his shoulder.

"I love you too," he said. "With all my heart."

I had had to go to the bottom of the ocean to get him, but in the end, it had been worth every strange twist, and every torturous turn. Maybe if you are truly meant to be with somebody, then you will find each other, again and again, no matter what.

The End