Mama Ocean

A couple of days later, we cruised through winding rural roads. I have to admit my spirits had started to soar.

There was a catalog of aromas filling the crisp country air; freshly cut grass, flowers, hay. I took it all in through the open windows; even the manure didn't smell so bad to me today.

I had barely left the city in years, and I could not deny how refreshing it was to inhale the wonderful Westcountry air.

There was something so liberating about the sprawling, patchwork meadows. This change of scenery was doing wonders for my morale. I felt inspired, almost...

"Okay, kids!" cried Jemima's dad Henry. "It's coming up in five, four, three, two..."

We turned a corner and Jemima, and I sat up expectantly. What's at the end of this countdown?

"One!"

My stomach lurched as it came into view.

It was calm today and a deep midnight blue. From up above you could see the little shimmering folds of all the waves across the seascape, making it appear as one flat everlasting sapphire.

Jemima and Henry whooped, and I forced myself to make some kind of sound that might too insinuate joy.

"You sound like a strangled cat," said Jemima.

I giggled. "Shut up," I replied.

"There it is," said Henry. "Mama Ocean."

I couldn't help but laugh again. I liked this name.

"How is Mama Ocean?" I asked, suddenly curious. It was just four years ago when the marine life was washing up dead on the shore. Henry was a 'Search and Rescue' pilot and would be in a good position to know.

"It's okay now, Crystal," said Henry. "Although something's a little strange with the food chain..."

"Hmm, like what?" I asked, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"Some sort of new predator... A lot more of the small fish, less of the bigguns, if you know what I mean."

"Hmm," I said quietly. I wouldn't worry, I told myself. The merfolk were powerful creatures; they could take out sharks. So whatever this new thing was, it would be nothing to them.

"But generally, I think mama and her children are recovering nicely," he said.

"Oh that's good," I replied. It was good news, but I was suddenly feeling uneasy all over again.

"Thanks to you and your parents, that is," said Henry, sighing.

The unsettling memories began to resurface. A smashed bottle; my jeans damp from blood.

"How are you feeling now... about all that?" asked Henry.

I cleared my throat. "Erm... I've been okay. But I guess it may be a bit weird coming back after all this time."

Henry sighed. "Of course. It's such a bloody pity that whole thing had to happen to you," he paused suddenly, as though he realized something. "I'm sorry I made such a brouhaha about the sea earlier. It must stir up all kinds of things."

I smiled politely. He has no idea, bless him, how much the sea stirs up for me.

"Oh gosh, it's fine," I heard myself reply. "It's actually nice to see it again."

***

"Darling!" my parents chimed as I got out of Henry's van.