Bloody Hell

We were gathered at the fringes of the Ocean Forests and the foot of Mount Glas, as per plan. It had taken about two hours to swim here, and I was pleased to find that my arms and tail had strengthened a little. Although they were tired, they were not aching at all.

Jasper had offered to carry me home if I was in any pain but so far, so good.

This 'Forest' appeared to consist of huge towering slithers of seaweed, and I was becoming increasingly relieved that I had not joined Tairise and co on their voyage here.

The waters were turning into a midnight blue as we melted into darkness, and behind us the mountain was ablaze with fairy light, casting amber flickers onto our faces.

We had formed a circle and Tairise and Aisling had both fallen into an intense trance. Tairise was painted even greener than usual for the occasion, while Aisling was decorated with white stripes and spots. Their bodies were rocking backward and forwards, and they were making humming noises.

I glanced sideways at Nephys and Jasper. They too had their eyes closed and appeared lost in deep concentration.

My eyes darted unsurely in the other direction towards Bright, and I could see he still had one eye open and was surveying his fellow mer with quiet amusement.

Never in my life, had I imagined I would be attending, let alone partaking in such an event. How has it come to this? I wondered silently. Here I was hundreds of feet under the sea and dressed to the nines in full ritualistic gear. On my head sat a crown of seaweed and tribal dots circled my entire upper body. I would die if anyone else saw me like this.

To make matters worse, I truly felt as though I may erupt into giggles at any minute. It was just the absurdity of the situation – we looked ridiculous! But the prospect of a giggling fit was horrifying. I would no doubt be considered a total disgrace.

I looked down and remembered that I had been given a mask made from shells, designed to cover one side of my face. I had been really quite reluctant to don this mask, but now I slid it over my head eagerly, in the hope that it could disguise any outbursts.

Bright gave me a thumbs up, and I felt the giggles explode from within as I imagined what I must look like.

My giggles were suddenly interrupted by a loud, deep voice and I shrieked and jumped.

"I am bowing my head

In the eye of the Mother who gave me birth,

In the eye of the God who loves me,

In the eye of the Spirit who guides me in wisdom."

The voice was booming from within the forest and was that of a man. I was absolutely terrified but my companions did not appear remotely startled. In fact, to the contrary, they began to join in.

"In friendship and affection," they bellowed.

"Through thy gift of nature, O Goddess,

Bestow upon us fullness in our need."

The seaweed parted, and three figures emerged.

They were men of average size, but they did not have tails like all the other sea people I had encountered. They had bare legs instead, which they used to stride out onto the sand bank.

At first, as they neared, I thought they carried seals in their arms, but as I squinted into the night, I realized with disconcertion that they wore the animal. I swallowed, as they moved closer. Their arms protruded from holes in the sides, while their hands adopted a prayer-like triangle in front of their chests.

I looked up shocked at their faces, but they too were concealed by the blubbery hide, and only their lips were visible through peepholes, which I feared may be the animals' own mouths.

They drew to a halt before Tairise who immediately dropped to his tail in a kneel. As they traveled around the circle, I observed Aisling, Nephys and Jasper all emulate Tairise and descend onto the floor before them.

When they reached me, I obediently fell to the sand and bowed my head, namely so that I did not have to look up at them. I prayed that what I was doing was right and as they passed on by I breathed a sigh of relief.

When they had done their rounds, they stood in the middle of the circle, and I saw to my horror, they beckoned me.

***

I remained in my kneeling position nervously. I SO did not want to go to the creepy seal-men.

They beckoned again, and Bright reached over and jabbed me.

I swallowed and nervously observed that one of the seal-men was unsheathing a large pointed knife.

Oh, my! When Nephys said it's a 'doing' thing... what had she meant exactly?

"Gods of the Celtic seas," they hollered,

"we bring you a gift that will please,

To be offered on the stone of truth,

And we ask in return that, in sooth,

Upon this night,

You grant our lost brothers sight."

My mind suddenly switched to yesterday; how abysmal it had been to see him like that, and how I still loved him so deeply. If I return to land - back to my life - would I really be able to go on knowing he was still down here in that state? I simply cannot leave him like this.

I opened an eye and saw a hand before me. I looked up at the carcass that hung from his upper body and begrudgingly extended my hand into his. Damn you, Llyr!

I felt myself being dragged into the center of the circle, resisting when I saw we were heading straight towards the man with the knife. No, no, nooo! The seal man tightened his grip and propelled me through the waters.

I now found myself floating helplessly beside the slate blade, before fanning my hands so that I inched backward and away.

Suddenly the man held the knife out towards me; its stone handle thrust right into my face. Do I take it?

Well, I think that would be an extremely good idea right now - whether you're supposed to or not!

I seized the knife quickly with a shaky hand and drew it close to me. I felt a second of relief as I came into possession of the object, only to then feel the press of hands on my shoulders, pushing me down. I shrieked and looked upwards. I was being steadied by the same man who had dragged me here.

I swiped the water to my side with the knife, in an attempt to frighten him off, but he continued to hold me, unnerved, until I knelt.

Oh, but what for? What am I supposed to be doing here, with this knife? I looked wildly around the circle for answers, the weapon vibrating in my clasp. I caught Nephys's eye, and the corners of her lips ascended into a reassuring smile. I glared back at her. She did not brief me on any of this - as flipping usual.

The surface beneath me was solid, and I stole a look downwards. I sat on a small slab of rock.

"Come forth," boomed the seal-man in front of me, towards the menacing streaks of seaweed; the rim of the forest.

They began to part, and I watched on petrified as another man emerged, dressed in seal corpse, just like the others. But this time I was not focusing on the get-up. Oh no, no, no, I was focusing on the long, slithery animal thrashing about in his arms.