Flooding Back

A couple of days later I roamed the streets of the East End with my CVs. I figured I should try and get some bar work, get myself an income, and then I could look for more serious jobs.

I had studied History and really wanted to get a job in a museum. The only thing was that museum work was one of the most competitive things out there. I had already heard the horror stories of graduates interning for years at even the littlest museums and then realizing they needed a master's and Ph.D. to get an actual paid job. But I didn't know if I could ever afford to go back to uni; I was about forty grand in debt.

I wasn't entirely sure what else I could do with my degree. When I had started my studies, I had quite fancied becoming an explorer or something, but only the heavens knew how you went about that. I mean, is there even such an occupation?

I sighed as I wandered down Brick Lane. Where am I going in life?

It was a hot day, and the sun beat down on me from above. It was market day, and all kinds of little vintage stalls had popped up along the road. I tried to force myself to walk straight passed them, but I needed blinkers; there were some very cute clothes on display. Cute clothes I could not afford.

Unfortunately, my hunt for bar work was not going too well. I had handed out about ten CVs, and everyone said they were full board.

I took a deep breath and pushed through another door. It was a musty, hot pub, but I took comfort that the punters were sitting outside, unable to witness what was about to come.

"Have you got any jobs?" I asked the man behind the bar, looking up at him with pathetic puppy dog eyes.

He shook his head and continued cleaning the pumps.

"Okay, fine," I said briskly, turning on my heel and heading back to the door. Best not waste any more time here.

"Summer holidays, mate," he called after me. I stopped. "We've had about a hundred students like you come here today asking," he explained.

I turned and thanked him, before continuing on my way. It was all such a humiliating process.

"You'd look very good behind my bar, though," he said as I reached the door. "The next slot I get, I'll call you."

I smiled politely, walking back to the bar and handing him my CV. "Number's at the top," I said, before turning again. I already knew I wouldn't be able to hang on for his slot. I had fifty quid in my bank account.

Great, I can't even get a bar job.

I breezed out of the door and rifled through my bag for my mobile. I could feel it vibrating somewhere.

It was my Mum.

"Hello darling," she trilled.

"Hi Mum," I smiled; it was comforting to hear her voice. "How are you?"

"Oh, we're fine," said Mum. "We are the same as always. Your father is bonkers, and I'm mad."

I couldn't help but laugh.

"Good to know," I replied. They were both a little on the eccentric side; especially against the backdrop of the remote Westcountry where they lived.

"We're off to France next month, and we want you to come home and see us before we go."

I was silent.

"Crystal, you have not been to see us on Starfish Island for three years!" she cried.

"I know," I said, "but that's because you guys come to London all the time."

We had only moved to the country from the city four years ago, and my parents still had a lot of friends here whom they often visited.

"Yes, but we'd like you to come to the family home now, please. We've still got your little room here, you know."

I was silent again. Now I felt really bad, but I still didn't want to go home.

"Please, darling. It would really mean a lot to us," Mum pressed.

"I don't have any money," I said.

"Well, we'll pay your train ticket, and then you will have three meals a day while you're here," Mum said firmly.

"I need to find a job, Mum, in London," I argued.

"I'm sure you can take a week out to see your parents, Crystal," Mum said forcefully.

A whole week?!

"Okay," I said reluctantly.

After hanging up the phone, I put it back in my bag, and hurriedly searched around for my wallet. I was stressed and upset.

Once I found it, I hurried into the shop and brought a packet of cigarettes, sparking up as soon as I got outside. It was a bad habit I had fallen into the past few years.

My parents lived on a beautiful little island just off the coast from sleepy small town Coney Bay. It wasn't that I hated the island or didn't want to see my parents, it was just that I had avoided that place - and the sea, full stop - for a long time now.

No sooner had I finished school three years ago, I had jumped on the first train to London before summer came.

It had been bad enough being there during the winter months, where everything still reminded me of Llyr, but to be there through June, July, August would have been just horrible - like reliving that whole magical summer but without him there.

Oh, and of course it wasn't just that driving me away. There were other memories I didn't want to awaken. I had nearly been murdered there, and it was only after several counselling sessions at uni, that I had stopped feeling quite so traumatized about the whole thing.

I exhaled a big grey cloud, as the memories began to brew.

Four years ago, the sea and its creatures had been under serious threat from a heinous power station SKANX who had dumped vast quantities of chemical waste far out at sea. My mother, a former employee of SKANX, had stolen damning documents from the company which had eventually brought it to its knees.

It had not been an easy thing to do, and I had been kidnapped by company bosses in the process and held hostage on a boat to be returned in exchange for the documents.

I suddenly remembered the damp, dark boat and how I had waited desperately for Llyr to rescue me. It had taken ages, and I had feared he wouldn't come at all, that I might be killed. I had known my two captors were more than capable of this. But then he had arrived – just like he always had. Every time that summer when I had feared I may not see him again, it had not been so... until we said our final heart-wrenching goodbyes.

Urgh, this is all this stuff I wanted to repress and forget ever happened. But being on Starfish at this time of year is going to bring it all flooding back. I just know it.